Thursday, May 07, 2009

Mother Rising

"Write what should not be forgotten" - Isabel Allende

For oh so long I've been wanting to create a yearly blurb book for my family. In fact, it was the whole reason I started blogging in the first place. When I became a mom, I found that I didn't have time to journal. Those who know me will understand that I can't resist a blank page, and a handful of words can easily turn into layers of paint, photos, pull-outs and found objects...such is the fate of the multi-media artist. The blog limited me to two mediums - words and photos which seemed like a good compromise. I chose the title, "Mother Rising" because I often wrote when I had risen (during Satch-naps or when he was in the arms of his dada) and in those early days of infancy, when time was but a blur, the entries were sporadic. When the fog settled, I started coming to this page in the stillness of early morning to peck out a few pixels and sip coffee while waiting for my son to wake up. I can tell you that the birds begin their dawn recital long before the sun rises. The title of this blog is now apt.

My love of documentation started as a wee girl, when my mom presented me with a hard back diary...that locked! Somehow the lock and key made it seem more official, powerful, magical. It was the color of spicy mustard with burnt orange details - very 70's! As with most fickle loves of childhood, my love of journaling was replaced by horses, treehouses, pogo sticks, and so on. I didn't return to my journal-love until I was in my early 20's...and it was then that I realized the value of moving thoughts out of my head and on to the page. If nothing else, it freed up space. And it was a relief to know I had a primitive external drive for which to store my memories.

While I was away from the blog recently, my brilliant cousin, literally rebuilt my Mac. He ripped out the single processor, slapped in a dual. He added a dvd burner with light scribe. He installed Time Machine to back up my data automatically onto an external drive so that I never have to worry about what happened last year (the rubble from which I'm still sorting through). And if we have another tornado warning like last year, I can just grab the Lacie in one hand, Satch in the other and head for our safe spot with all our memories, art, and photos in a shiny piece of metal that fits in the palm of my hand. He pimped out my Mac with a new OS and all the latest apps. It's so slick that I barely recognize it and now I am finally able to use booksmart and slurp my blog into blurb. I love the way he linked our macs so he can get inside mine and tweak it from his cool cottage on Long Island.

It would take another page or two to express how much I adore my cousin, Philip. As a toddler, he had this talent for figuring out how things worked and then creating it. He didn't just play with his toys, he examined them. I suppose I should not have been surprised, years later, when he built his own car - A CAR! I should not have been shocked when his ignition broke and he rigged it to flip-switch. Have you seen a car start with a light switch? And though his voice is now deeper and he's grown into a tall, lanky and handsome man - when I see those blue eyes, I remember the quiet, playful, round faced little boy with serious ideas. And I'm grateful that this vision is permanently etched in mind and has not faded into the folds of my cortex.

Blurbing is painfully slow. The slurp is quick, but the editing is a slow crawl at best. Still, I made the most of the free time and was able to create the first three volumes. The fourth volume will be created after Satchel's birthday this month as each book concludes with celebrating his birth. These family albums are entitled, "My World, My True".

It was important for me to take time away from the blog to work on this and a few other creative projects. Creating journals is the whole reason I started blogging in the first place. Over the years, this blog has become a bit more than a journal. It's a place where I talk to other creative moms about how they orchestrate their lives. It's a place where I share what's in our book basket or in our toy box. However, if you've been coming here long enough - to watch me talk to myself , you'll know that it is still, first and foremost, my diary...only without the lock and key!

Little did I know that making my diary public, would bring so many wonderful people into my life. I'm grateful for these connections. And I thank you all for making this great big world feel much more cozy.

Have a good weekend. See you Monday!

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:27 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

i am so glad you blog too!! the blurb books look fabulous - i have been working on Esme and Eila's books for months now and am still no closer to the end, sigh. but you've inspired me all over again.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Ginger Carlson, author said...

Wendy, these look fabulous! I would love to be able to take a peek inside. I also do something similar (although I have made it my mission to give it to the kids each year on their birthdays - Anjali's first will be a cloth book). I also try to write a letter to Zeal pretty regularly, but now it is coming down to every six months or so - for him to read as an adult) I'm so glad my mom did things like this for me, and want my kids to have it too.
You've done a beautiful job! Thanks for sharing!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Jessica Monte said...

congrats, and on so many levels, me too! one of these days I'm going to have to send out my drafts of Annabelle's first 2 years for publication. My husband keeps egging me to do so. Oh, and that is so sweet that you know someone who knows how to rebuild and juice up computers. Hoorah!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to look back on his childhood. I know that I have enjoyed reading your 'diary' and recently it was reading your link about your IVF that made me realise how much I want a baby the old fashioned way.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Duffy said...

I am having major journal envy. I love the books and your creativity. I also approach my blog as my online journal space. It's the only way anything gets documented anymore.

Thank you so much for making your diary public. It is so much more than a diary and it is serving so many of us. Thanks for sharing so abundantly.

11:57 PM  
Blogger jessamyn said...

happy mama's day beautiful woman!

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home