Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Riding Out the Storm

"But this much I have learned,
if not enough else—
to live with my eyes open" - Mary Oliver (In the Storm)

Last week a wacky storm blew through suddenly. Robert called from work and said, "Take Satch down to the basement, there is a tornado warning". My heart started pounding because he is a bit of a weather buff and soon after his statement it began to rain sideways. I clipped the phone to my pants, grabbed Satch and carried him to the basement where he immediately began examining all the cardboard boxes that either needed to be unpacked or broken down. I ran upstairs to get snacks, water, toys, books, diaper bag, blanket and our two cats. The cats set out to explore the cellar while Satch and I hunkered down in an interior storage closet which I quickly set up in a playful manner. I told Satch we were going to pretend it's an office like Dada's and he yelled, "Dat be fun!"

While we waited for the warning to be lifted, we played with this learning laptop by V-Tech. A little monkey presented us with a letter and we had to find it's match on the keyboard. It features a wide variety of games which include language, math and music. As you know, I'm not a big fan of electronic toys, but I do believe in balance and moderation as, like it or not, we live in a high tech world of gadgets and gizmos.

We did some drawing in another gorgeous Taro Gomi book entitled, "Squiggles". The Taro Gomi books are EXACTLY the kind of coloring books I wish I had when I was a kid. Highly imaginative, HUGE, and the paper is excellent quality.

AND we read two new books:

Wild Fibonacci! The whole Fibonacci thing just blows my mind and what a wonderful way to introduce this mysterious code of nature to children.

Frog Girl is a beautiful book with a beautiful message - respect for nature, interconnectedness, and caring for the creatures of our earth.

When the warning was lifted we went back upstairs. Satch napped, and I made it a goal to finish organizing that basement into a kid-friendly stormy day play area. One of the closets will be for storm related pantry items so that we don't have to scramble to gather things in the rare event of another tornado warning. The deeper storage closet will remain empty except for a bucket of crayons, a toy, some books and a blanket - should we ever need to play "office" again.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:47 AM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're so clever wen..
xoxoxoxoxoxox
julie

8:35 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

i think plato was mistaken...it's not necessity, but creativity that is the mother of invention.

xo

9:21 AM  
Blogger denise said...

We have a storm area too - with water, emergency radio, copies of bills (so we have all the acct numbers), food, shoes, fleeces, blankets, pillows, candles/matches, flashlight with charger, etc. ALl kinds of goodies. We just re-fill the water every few weeks, and check dates on everything a few times a year. All good! You are smart to be prepared. :)

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home