Friday, January 18, 2008

Illuminating Fog

"Derive happiness in oneself from the illuminating fog that surrounds us" - Henri Mattise


Last night while working with a mac genius on a backup of my system, my computer went wonky and I lost, among other things, firefox. I had to reinstall it and in the process have lost ALL my bookmarks.


Hundreds of contacts/links...the best places to buy my supplies, educational links that I've been storing for Satch, as well as the links to all your blogs which I may never find again because I can't remember the addy's to all of them.

It has taken me years to build a system of files that were an invaluable source of information and now it's gone...information that has helped me help others. I feel as though I've just received a lobotomy...I feel empty and not in a good way.

My precious photos survived the back up and are on my LaCie, but the intricate filing system that I created that enabled me to find any one of my (over 7,000) photos is gone. The titles of photos are also gone and have reverted to the camera's original file name. So I have to find a way to create a new filing system. And I can't imagine how long it will take me to rebuild a system that took me 5 years to build....when the only free time I have is when my son is napping. This all happened at a time when I was ramping up to re-build my art business which has dwindled a tad since the birth of my boy because of lack of time.

That said, if any of you have links to share, please post them in this comment section. My interests are homeschool /educational links where I can find information on subjects in science, math, art etc. (So to be able to answer Satchel's questions correctly)
  • links to your blogs and your faves, particularly crafty, artsy, momma blogs
  • vegetarian links
  • art/design links/crafty links
  • green links
  • and anything else that you feel might be of interest to me
I will be most grateful and try to rebuild . In the meantime, I will try to keep up my diary here on Mother Rising, but posting may be limited while I try to recover a wealth of information. Mom to Mom interviews are booked until October and are already cued up to post so they will still be on schedule. Our seasonal reading list will be posted on schedule (on or before the first day of the season). As for "Most Alive Monday", I can't promise anything today as my mind is in a complete fog. Thank you for understanding.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:48 AM

8 Comments:

Blogger Shelley said...

Bleah. What a huge bummer you poor sweetie!

The days of backing up your STUFF and being done with it are gone, and that's a good thing... what we value our computers for now is their ability to CONNECT us, so our addressbooks and bookmarks are often the thing we miss most in a crash. Which many of us don't figure out is the case until we crash.

I am backing the hell up out of my computer this morning in your honor.

When I was in college, one of my good friends was deaf, and as his friend I got to sit with him WAAAAY up front for all the commencement stuff... it was amazing. I took some unbelievably cool pictures. And then my camera completely died. So I can really relate to what I imagine must be a pretty big shock to your system.

I'll spend some time this weekend putting together a little linky love... you are in my thoughts.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

Oh Wendy, I will get back to you with some "good stuff". I am a true "newby" to all this and am just beginning to learn it all at my age, 47. But I keep alot of info on my bookmark, like your blog, and others that I like to pop in on.My blog is just in its beginning stages.Dear me, and I see you were up bright and early this morning, or maybe you didn't sleep at all.I will pass some of my faves on to you soon. amy

9:30 AM  
Blogger bella said...

This happened to me a few months back at well. All of it, just gone!
I'm so sorry.
Good luck in building your link reserve back up.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you really certain you lost your bookmarks? I ask because on the Mac, as I recently found out, Firefox makes a library of *every single bookmark list* *every single time the bookmarks get changed*. I'm not sure what the purpose is in keeping such extensive bookmark list logs, but, whatev. You might ask around (if you haven't already) and see if your computer has something similar.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Auntslappy said...

You might know this already but Firefox stores things like your favorites in a separate folder. Did you look there or did your entire computer go? Here are the directions to find where Firefox stores your favorites in your profile folder...
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

hope this helps! -Erin

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry so sorry, just when you were feeling so light. Of course there is a teaching here but who gives a shit about that. Still, having lost it all, you still have to let it go, and trust that what is retrieved and replaced is for best and what is forgotten is also for best. How we do rely on our systems, but as for Satch, I've seen him. I've seen his smile, his way, and I know that his is a magical life. He will draw to him exactly what he needs where and when he needs it. Foggy or not, his path is always clear, and in his wake, yours is too.

But having said that, I will expect absolutely nothing of you as you stagger about, knowing that even these things are full catastrophes.

Love,
Maezen

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy,

I am sorry that you have lost all of your links. I hope that we can help replenish your resources. First of all, I want to say thank-you for your invaluable resource: your blog. I practice attachment parenting with my son and currently don't know anyone else who does. I often look to blogs for inspiration, information and support. You blog has helped me immensely so thank-you.

Here are some resources that you might like:

http://twostraightlines.typepad.com/two_straight_lines/

http://soulemama.typepad.com/soulemama/

http://luckybeans.typepad.com/

http://morganmoore.typepad.com/one_more_moore/

http://www.poetry4kids.com/index.php

http://d-i-y-kids.blogspot.com/

http://www.canteach.ca/index.html

I will look through my links later and see what else I can find.

Rochelle

6:31 PM  
Blogger nina beana said...

oh poop! that happened to me before and it completely sucked pinecones (our new word for balls). anyway, i'm hugging you, sending you firefoxy love.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home