Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A Rant, a Rave and a Recipe


Can someone please explain to me what is going on? Has the world gone crazy? A couple of weeks ago, my kindred mama Pixie emailed me about a new baby gadget, "The Baby Chair Bottle Support Feeding Device". We both had the same knee jerk reaction to the press release. Although I can see how this may be useful in the case of multiples, I am heartbroken at the thought of wee babes being fed in a chair rather than in the arms of a loving mother or father (or human).

Just when I had rid my mind of it (inhale positive thoughts, exhale negative thoughts), I stumbled upon THIS hideous creation! Babies love to be held...this is a part of nurturing and we know this. Our duty as parents is to love and nurture our children. Why then are people inventing devices to separate us from our natural role as parents, detach us from our children?!?!

They grow up so fast, hold your babies while you can and savor those moments. Before long, they are off and running.....

On a more positive note: The brilliant and beautiful Joan Armatrading just finished recording her new album on July 31st. Release date and 2007 tour to be announced! (The last time we saw her live was in Brooklyn in the summer of 2003...I look forward to seeing her again and dance with my baby!) And the very talented Dan Bern will be releasing his new album entitled, "Breathe" on September 19th! (I just adore him)

Last night I made Tofu Masala for dinner. Satchel loves Indian food as much as we do. I was trying to decide what to do with the fresh mint that my neighbor brought over when suddenly Cucumber Raita came to mind and whenever I think of Raita, I think of Tofu Masala:

  • 1/2 block of extra firm tofu (freeze & squeeze: freeze the night before, thaw, and squeeze out the water) cut into small cubes
  • 1 small onion finely chopped
  • 1 small clove garlic minced
  • 3/4 cup peas
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp garam masala
  • 1/8 tsp tumeric
  • 1/8 tsp chili powder
  • dash of sea salt
  • 4 Tbsp of veg stock (or water will do in a pinch)
  • 1 Tbsp of tomato paste
  • 2 Tbsp plain yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
  • olive oil
  • Basmati Rice
Start preparing the rice according to directions on package. *I cook the rice in vegetable stock for extra flavor and nutrition. I also add a pinch of saffron and a dried clove. Saute onions in olive oil until clear. Add garlic, tofu, peas, dry spices and stir until well coated. Add remaining ingredients and turn heat down to low until the rice is ready. Serve with side of rice, some warm pita and cool, refreshing Cucumber Raita. (This is the mild version as my son eats it with us, for more zing just go double on the spice. Also, this recipe is just enough for 2 adults and a babe...there won't be any left-overs.)

There are lots of ways to make cucumber raita, but here's a recipe that is close to authentic and exactly like my own recipe (sans the black pepper), though sometimes I like to add garlic and onion.

*Please note that husband claims he doesn't like tofu, but he inhales this dish! My husband is a man of contradiction. He will not use a garden hoe for fear of hurting some earthworms, yet has no problem ordering General Tso's Chicken for dinner! (He respects my vegetarian life style and only eats meat when we eat/take out)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:42 AM

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

C'mon? that "zaky infant pillow" really ought to be called the wacky infant pillow because any parent who substitue a fake hand for the real this is obviously wacky!

What a horrible contraption. Poor babe is going to forget mom and dad's scent and seek the comfort of a fake hand for it's soothing needs....
Seriously... why don't they just hire Rosie the robotic maid from the Jetsons to love our kids since it's obviously too much work for them, I mean really.. who wants to hold and love a baby anyway......

Sick jerks... How much you want to guess a man invented this? I can picture the jerk now.. inventing it after mom asked him to get up w/ the baby since she's gotten up with it 15 times already that evening....

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home