Friday, July 21, 2006

Neighborly


An elderly gentleman who lives on our street by the name of Rolando dropped by. He brought an illustration that he made for Satch and a zucchini from his garden. I was so touched by the gesture that I printed one of my own illustrations and gave it to him (pictured above) along with a recipe for stuffed zucchini blossoms. He returned later in the day with a bag of zucchini blossoms, fresh basil and mint. He sat on the glider with me while Satch played in the pool at our feet. We exchanged stories about our days as native New Yorkers. As it turns out, we both lived in Greenwich Village for a spell. Rolando knows six languages; has lived all over the world; and studied architecture. He claims he hasn't bought a tomato in 40 years. Maybe he'll come back again with some tomatoes!

I'll have to make zucchini bread tomorrow. It's the only way I'll be able to get my husband to eat it. He's an antisquashite. Perhaps, I'll be able to get him to try the blossoms...
Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:46 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home