Sunday, May 29, 2011

Birthday Letters: Six


Dear Satchel,

Today marks your SIXTH ride around the sun! You have been literally counting down the days until this birthday, each morning giving me the tally. This birthday you did not cry and complain about being a year older as you have in the past. This is the birthday that you welcomed and said, "I'M SIX...I LIKE BEING SIX!"

You have changed so much over the last year. You take up more room in the family bed. Your big boy bed has never been slept in except by adventurous house guests.

You like to write and do math in your head. Your artwork inspires me in ways that I can't find words for.

You still use the word 'what' in place of 'that' and have your own unique way of forming questions..."Mama, was it funny what I said?"

You are into wizardry and making potions on the sidewalk with herbs from my garden and pots that you found in the recycle bin. You love making arrows and all sorts of weaponry to scare off magical beasts.

You are obsessed with Beyblades and Bakugans. You love Legos, Zoobs, K'nex and Hot Wheels. I will never forget how I blew your mind when I came home from the community yard sale with a bag full of Hot Wheels gadgets.

You are reverent about nature and you've transformed the dining room window sill into an altar to hold all your gifts from the earth.

You can ride a two wheeler! You never had training wheels - went right from your balance bike to the real deal! You're favorite thing to do is ride down the hill and hit the breaks at the bottom. You get off your bike and compare the skid marks, trying to outdo yourself.

You now love greens...including fresh spinach and wakame.

You are articulate, thoughtful and have a terrific sense of humor.

I feel a shift since last year and I wonder if you do too. The occupational therapy and the changes we've made seem to have soothed your extremely aware senses. You seem more at peace.

I cherish the multitude of kisses you give me each day and how you say, "I love you, Mama" throughout the day. You are a blessing to me and I thank you for being my son. I hope that you feel my love also, because you made me understand what Browning meant by...

"I love you with the breath, smiles and tears of all my life."

Happy Birthday, Satchel!

I loved you before you were,
I love you now that you are,
and I'll love you for eternity.
Mama

*As usual, I've set your annual birthday letter to post at the time of your birth because will be in full swing celebration mode at that very moment. You requested an old fashioned pie fight for your birthday...LET THE WILD RUMPUS START!!!!

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 12:50 PM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Allison said...

SIX! wow! But he was just little when I started reading your blog. Hmm, and I had no kids and now I have three. I guess time does that. But SIX sounds (and looks) so big. And so fun. Happy Birthday Satchel (and a big hug to the wonderful Mama too!)

P.S. Thank you for your kind words on my site. Really, truly.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

Words can't even describe how deeply this touched me, Wendy. What a beautiful gift for Satchel these pages you write, these photos you post.

Last night reading this, with tears streaming down my face, I was remembering Kaiden's 6th birthday as if it were yesterday. He will turn 12 next month.

Love and blessings to you and your sweet boy as you begin this next year long journey round the sun.xo

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home