Thursday, August 23, 2007

Speaking of Worms

 A powerful storm rolled in last night waking everyone in the house, including Satch who does not need to wake up any more than he usually does (which is a lot). It wasn't the thunder that was so unnerving, it was the rain. It didn't pour, it roared! I kept thinking it was a jet, though most loud noises sound like jets to me these days. In the morning there were THREE earthworms in our living room. They had some how managed to squeeze under the door to escape the deluge. Even our cats took pity on the worms and did not eat them. Robert tossed them back into the flowerbed to live out their wormishness. Speaking of worms...did I ever mention that my grandmother's name was Irma, but I liked to call her "Worma"?

Yet, in spite of the of all that wet pelting, the peach portulaca (pronounced por-chew-laka) was blooming as it does every day, rain or shine, reminding me that everything is just peachy! I've decided that instead of saying peachy keen, I'm going to start saying peachy portulaca because I like the way it sounds.

My aunt called me tonight and told me that even though she's officially in her new home, she's kept my grandparent's phone number; the very number that I've been calling since childhood; one of the few numbers I know by heart as if imprinted on my soul. The beauty of that gesture was overwhelming. I started crying. To lighten the moment she said, "Yo, I represent", and I laughed through my tears. That's the kind of person my aunt is. She's amazing!

Oh! Before I forget...I've submitted my photo of the old cemetery to JPG magazine and it's time to pimp my photo. Please vote for me here and if you'll tell all your friends to do the same...well, that would be Peachy Portulaca!

Hey...can anyone tell me if my plastic bag counter widget in my sidebar is slowing down this page?

Have a good weekend everybody!

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:08 AM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a minute. My grandma's name was Irma. No wait on the counter. No waiting to vote.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is SUCH a beautiful pic. what IS that though is that fog/mist covering the ground or spider webs...

it's wonderful

1:30 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thanks Vickie. No fog, mist or webs...I shot the little bloom using macro, There is a short depth of field and the background simply blurs out.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home