Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Birthday Letters: Two





















"these are days you'll remember
when May is rushing over you with desire
to be part of the miracles you see in every hour
you'll know it's true, that you are blessed and lucky
it's true, that you are touched by something
that will grow and bloom in you" - Natalie Merchant

My precious boy,
Your second year has been a wondrous whirlwind of change and growth. You've taught me so much and I'm still learning from you. You remind me daily that the time is always "now". I have learned to adjust my body clock to keep the beat of your rhythm so that I may nurture you the way that you need. I have learned to brush my teeth standing on one foot while holding the toilet seat lid down with the other.

We hit one rough patch during the chaos of selling our house and the transition of a move across several states. Strangers walking through our home...sneaking up without an appointment to peek in our windows at all hours of the day and night. You missed your dada and I felt helpless. We both crumbled. It was a terrain so foreign it felt as though we were strangers, but with great love we found our footing and resumed the gentle sway of our familiar dance.

Your curiosity about the world around you is a joy to witness. You are a strong boy and you are learning to control your power and impulses. You are thrilled when you find a patch of flowers. You sniff them, and say, "Mmmm goom". (mmm good) I enjoy watching you play with water and your pout of concentration as you practice pouring and not spilling. You want to play in your sandbox from the moment you wake up in the morning. "Ah box, mama", you say, in a hoarse sleepy voice.

Your vocabulary is growing faster than I can keep track of. You know your colors and all your body parts. You point out letters and numbers that you recognize. You have a few of your own words too. Just last month your word for breast milk was, "ma NAH", and now you say, "mok" (with a yiddish sound to it). I am impressed that you are trying to say milk, and yet I dearly miss "ma Nah". Your other made up word is, "goo gah", which I've learned means "other side"...as you tap my other breast to remind me to switch sides. You are self weaning and now nurse mainly at night and at nap time. You still keep me on my toes when it comes to naps. You've taught me to go with the flow. I try to slow the pace of our day in the afternoon...watch for a sign and help ease you into a slumber before gently laying you on our family bed.

You never crawled, but went right to walking...now climbing, running and jumping. You build bridges with your blocks and walk across them. "Bidge", you say. You've earned your bumps, bruises and scraped knees, yet you keep going, my brave boy. You wear your Elmo bandaid like a badge of honor. You inspect your scrapes methodically and ask for a new bandage each time until there is no trace of the scrape left.

You love animals and although you are still rough with your cats (unable to control your strength and excitement) you are mindful of the animals you see outside our home and blow kisses to them. Your spontaneous hugs and kisses are the new thing right now and I am savoring every bit of them.

Last night while getting ready for bed, in your tired yet wound up mood, you began to kick me. I responded sternly, "No, hurts mama", and when you continued I asked your dada to dress you for bed. You immediately began making kissing noises in an effort to set things right again, so I went to you. You hugged me saying, "I'm ok".

"Yes", I said, "I'm ok now...thank you".

You are a loving, happy boy. You have a beautiful smile and a calmness about you. You are cautious with strangers and are not afraid to say stand up for yourself. When someone you are unfamiliar with is a bit too forward you say, "No...bye bye". When another child tries to take your toy at the playground you don't get angry, hit or scream...you stretch your arms out in front of you with your hands on their shoulders and say, "no...move" or "no...go".
And yet you are willing to share and will often offer toys to the other children.

I am proud of your willingness to share as well as your courage and ability to set your own boundaries. I am also proud that you choose to resolve conflict with your two year old vocabulary rather than by physical violence (biting, screaming, hitting). You shine, Satch! People frequently comment on how kind and happy you are. (just as frequently as people tell us that your dada looks like Robin Williams) This year your love for music continues and your favorite instrument to play right now is the harmonica. You play it expressively and bow your head as you gently end a note. You dance and spin and stomp your feet in time with your song. You make yourself dizzy and as you wait for your world to stop swirling, you look up at me and say, "whoa....I'm ok".

Indeed, you are...you are more than ok. You are extraordinary! Thank you for being my son.

Happy Birthday!
I love you!
Mama


Your birth was wondrous!

(photos here)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 12:50 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Happy Happy birthday Satch!!!!
Hope this year is filled with laughter,love,and learning.
Sending you smooches and hugs from NY
xoxoxoxo
Julie

9:08 AM  
Blogger Shana-Lynn said...

Beautiful Wendy!

Happy Birthday Satch.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Bumbershootska said...

Happy birthday, Little Growing Man

You brought tears to my eyes, Wendy with this loving dispatch, told with a mother's heart. He is such a lovely boy who is being raised to be a loving member of society. Maybe there's hope for this little planet, eh?
Give him a hug from Canada!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

happy birthday! a beautiful tribute to the sweetest little guy!

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home