Monday, May 21, 2007

Corners of My Home



So here it is, a photo of the nest I've been working on (I dropped the rails down on the family bed for the photo). It's 60 sheets of paper mounted to 6 masonite panels. It was difficult to photograph due to the glare. It's much richer in person. The sheets are soft Egyptian cotton in shades of brown and a deep robin's egg blue (almost). The duvet is dark brown linen with wonderful texture. We had to buy new sheets for our bed because nothing we owned fit our pillow top mattress. I'm convinced this is some sort of conspiracy between the mattress makers and the furniture industry because our mattress is even too big for the bed so we moved our bed frame to the guest room. We'll have to buy a new bed when we find one we like. In the meantime, our mattress is on the floor.

A close-up of the dots that make up the image was requested, so here you go.









The wall at the foot of the bed is entirely glass and overlooks the tree tops.














And this is my dresser on which I keep (left to right): a small print entitled, "Sleeping Lovers" by Josephine McCormick; a photo of my dearly departed cat, Sid; my pregnant torso casted by Robert a week before I delivered (yes, I know my boobs were huge); mini drawers for my jewelry...my prized whistle ring from childhood; a bunch o' Pee Wee Harmonicas (on which I can play the theme to Masterpiece Theater ); and sandalwood Tibetan prayer beads (that smell heavenly); an antique Whitman's candy tin designed by Alphonse Mucha; a tiny 50's bowl; and an antique French lozenge tin.



Robert's dresser once belonged to his grandmother. On top he keeps (left to right): the Dali box that I made him; 3 wood boxes made by his father; the best fan I've ever owned; and a thick layer of dust. (He hates when I move things to clean so I don't clean his stuff...except for his cds because those dusty jewel cases were not going in the same drawer with mine until they were wiped down).
So there you have it...our home is a mish-mash of his, hers and ours...but somehow it seems to work. We're renting this flat until we decide where to plant roots.
After I finished the "nest" on Saturday during mama-time, I made this sun jar and I plan to make more once I figure out an easier way to reassemble the jar. I had to enlist my husband because my hands just weren't strong enough. The light is a gorgeous amber as you can see in the photo. And what I love about it is that the sun charges the rechargeable battery within. How cool is that? (Thanks, Megan!)
And for the Wee...I made a bunch of homemade playdough!
My next project is a letterbox to be placed in a local used bookstore. It's going to look like a mysterious old book, but it will be hollow to contain the goods. I talked the owner of the shop into letting me plant it. More on this later...Satch and I are taking the metro to the zoo! But before I go, I think you should read two very poignant posts, "Undamaged Boys" and "Masks" by the amazing Shelley (she inspires me daily).

*For more corners of my home photos, click the tag below this post.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:06 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger Shelley said...

Okay, I'm blushing over here. And I am totally gaga over your nest and sun jar! Whoa.

Someday, I'm going to get my letterboxing act together... you're inspiring too, you know!

8:09 PM  
Blogger angie said...

That nest is truly stunning.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

thanks, angie!

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home