Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Satch and I spent Thanksgiving alone as dada is in DC looking for our new home. I made Vegetarian "Neat" loaf with organic wild mushroom gravy (thickened with soy milk), squash, and organic apple/peach crisp. The gravy was from a mix because as the mama of a toddler, I've learned that I have to cut corners, cut food, and wash crayon off walls when I'm done cooking.

Satch wouldn't eat a bite of his dinner. The only thing I could get him to eat was almond butter and crackers. As you can see he was looking mighty sad and sticky.











So, I tossed him in the tub and he was happy again. When in doubt, just add water!







This year I'm thankful for: tiny bits of food, mindfully chopped; scrawls of colored wax that mysteriously appear in the most unlikely places; for the laughter; the joy; the sleepless nights; for the honor of being Satchel's mama; for my loyal, loving, and witty husband whom I miss terribly today.








Neat Loaf
Saute onions and carrots until tender add garlic, remove from heat. In a bowl, stir together soy, egg, stuffing and braggs. Add onion/carrot/garlic mixture and mix thoroughly. Transfer to a loaf pan, cover with foil and bake at 450 for 3o minutes. *remove foil last 10 minutes to crisp top.

Quick Organic Apple/Peach Toddler Cobbler (adapted from Garden of Vegan)
  • 1 organic apple chopped
  • 1 organic peach chopped
  • 3-4 Tbsp butter or marg
  • 1/2 c oatmeal
  • 3-4 Tbsp flour
  • 1/2 t of nutmeg (I skip the nutmeg)
  • 1 t of cinnamon
  • 1/4 c sugar
* I use cinnamon-sugar instead and very little of it.

Chop fruit and place in a microwave safe dish. Mix together oats, flour, butter/marg, spices,
sugar and sprinkle on top of fruit. Microwave on high for 10-13 minutes. Let stand 2 minutes before serving.

What are you thankful for?
What did you make to eat?
Would you mind sharing your favorite meatless recipe with me?

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 3:59 PM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I do have a few :) But a favorite here is "hot honey carrots" as the kids call them. No measurements.. I eyeball it all.
Steam some cut carrots, then place in a skillet with a few tablespoons of melted butter (or some other similar fat if you don't do dairy) saute a bit, then pour on maybe a third cup or so of honey to glaze, and a dash or two of cayenne red pepper. Salt to taste. Even with the tad bit of "hot" my kids love these. Omit the cayenne if you like for just regular honeyed carrots.

And, there is a very good "green bean casserole" recipe at this link. I made it for dinner today and it was a HUGE hit. http://www.twosheep.com/blog/?p=489
I used veggie stock instead of chicken paste.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving :)

7:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that your husband couldn't be with you on Thanksgiving. I don't have any unusual vegee recipes. My neighbour made incredibly yummy vegee lasagna while I made all the usual carnivorous suspects.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Carla! Sounds YUMMY...can't wait to try it!!!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Margaret! Safe journey......

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home