Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A Poem On My Heart


"Your eyelashes will write a poem on my heart" - Rumi

Yesterday afternoon was a bit rocky. I should have guessed by the morning clinginess...your little fists tugging my pajamas. It was nearly noon before I was able to shower. While I sorted your out-grown clothing (a pile for the rescue mission and a pile for a single mom who will be induced Wednesday morning), you did some sorting of your own...removing all the clothing from the storage bin and putting some back. When you seemed bored with your toys and books, I brought out some plastic mixing bowls and spoons. When stacking and mixing lost it's magic, colorful pieces of yarn did the trick.

I saw signs of fatigue...eye rubbing and frustration so I carried you to bed to nurse and nap. That's when our day took a downward spiral. You protested, cried and tossed yourself off the bed (landing on a pillow). You refused to nurse, refused to sleep. I gave in and we went to the living room to play some more, but nothing seemed to please you because what you really needed was a nap. I looked for your stroller and realized that your dad forgot to take it out of the trunk. I called him (while you cried in the background) and told him that I had a tired and upset little boy...and my "back-up nap" was in the trunk of the car. He said he would leave work early and take you for a nap drive. You slept for 30 minutes. I had an hour to de-stress.
When you returned, we had dinner...organic scrambled eggs, spinach latkes, and fruit - quick and easy! (The recipe is below, but to remedy the sour afternoon, these did the trick!!!) We went to bed at 8pm and you slept better than you had the last week. You woke to nurse at 12am, 2am, 5 am and finally at 6am with a smile and a giggle.

This morning you are too charming for words.


Spinach Latkes
(and Spinach Tartlettes)

2 10 oz packages of frozen chopped spinach
2 cups grated potato (left over mashed works too)
1-2 onions finely chopped
6 eggs beaten
1/2 - 3/4 c of melted butter
1 c grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp garlic salt (or 2 cloves garlic minced and 1 tsp sea salt)
1/2 t thyme
1/2 t black pepper

Thaw spinach and squeeze out excess water. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Form mixture into small patties. Place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until golden. (If I have any left over mozzarella, I throw that in too) Makes several dozen. *Patties can be frozen and baked later.

*For a funky twist, I call "Spinach Tartlettes" substitute the potato with 2 c herbed stuffing mix!

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:08 PM

3 Comments:

Blogger pinkcoyote said...

oh, finally! i was beginning to have withdrawals. our household is operating on the same system these days, because of teeth. dad is on shift doing the teething dance as i veg out with a sore neck and tired eyes.
this picture of satch is really endearing. he is such a big boy. you must be so proud... :) can't wait to try the latkes. xoxo p

10:39 PM  
Blogger Veronica TM said...

Thank you for the recipe, Wendy.
It is a good thing that he slept after such a day. Fiona is teething so we miss some naps now too.
He looks adorable in that photo.

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That line from Rumi is beautiful! So poignant.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home