Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Love Bugs

"The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - Henry Miller

The passing rain showers did a fine job of coolings things off, however it somehow managed to ignite sparks of a different sort.


Satchel and I went for an early evening stroll and got quite a show. A peep show of the insect variety on a leaf in a curbside flower bed.















(I'm not sure which species they are, but I'm guessing they are of the asian variety due to the marks on their pronotum.)

Motherhood leaves me virtually no time for art, so I've turned my attention toward photography and journaling as a creative outlet. There will be more time for art as Satch gets older. As for now, I photograph our moments: the things we do, the things we see, so that we do not misplace them in the folds of memory and so that he will have these things to reflect on for a great many years. There are things in this world that are dark and sad, one must know where to look for the antidote. I hope that my images and words knit a sparkling cloak of protective joy around my boy...a magic elixir, a remedy.

I enoy our strolls together immensely. I pack the pram with snacks, water, a sheet for impromptu picnics, a stick of chalk for leaving messages, and a camera. When we set out for a stroll, I go with an awareness and the intention to see something wondrous to record for Satch. And that is how I happen upon things like the six spotted tiger beetle and amorous ladybugs. I either stumble on the magic or it finds me, I'm not sure which. What I do know is that I'm never disappointed. Goethe once wrote, "The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone". Satch and I...our two souls walk together.

We pause to pick two wild spearment leaves, one for me to nibble on and the other for Satch to explore. I spot a patch of lavender and rub a bud between my palms to release the scent then hold it to Satchel's nose for him to smell. I point out all the animals I see. We welcome the licks of friendly dogs and cats. We watch squirrels dance across tree tops with amazing agility. We walk with patience and awareness. We soak up the colors, the scents, the sounds, the sights.

After dinner we played Satchel's favorite song, "24 Robbers" from the birthday cd that cousin Kate gave him. Satch danced wildly!

Satch is very interested in the electric fan. He points to it and says, "Ffffff", but he hasn't yet figured out how to complete the word. He learned how to sit up on his own in bed last night. He went from pulling himself up to stand without learning how to sit up on his own. (He also bypassed crawling and is trying to walk instead). He was so pleased with his new maneuver that he clapped loudly for himself and repeated his new skill over and over until he was too exhausted to continue. His noggin wet with sweat, he finally succumbed to sleep. He woke up twice during the night and sat up on his own as if to be sure he still remembered how he did it.

Satchel wouldn't nap at ALL today. Every time I took him to bed to nurse and nap, he rolled himself over and sat up, just like last night only he wouldn't give in to sleep. He's very cranky as one would imagine. I only hope that he sleeps well tonight.

For the next three days Satch will be going to the office with his Daddy as is the case when I am scheduled to work. (Satch is an A.P. baby and is always in the care of his parents) I have belly photos scheduled and other assorted obligations. I will look forward to the weekend with Satch and will return to the page once again with a smattering of words and a moment frozen with the click of a shutter.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:06 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home