Tuesday, June 09, 2020

Late Fragment

And did you get what you wanted from this life, even so? 

 I did. 

 And what did you want? 

 To call myself beloved, to feel myself beloved on the earth.” 

 ― Raymond Carver, A New Path to the Waterfall




It was a hard day.  He would have been 61 years old on Saturday.  Almost every year he would request Cherry Cobbler so that is what I would make.  S wanted me to continue to make it every year.  He also liked to go out to dinner on his birthday and since we couldn't do that due to pandemic we decided to get takeout.  We thought long and hard about what his father would have chosen, and we felt 100% confident that, in solidarity with BLM, he would want Jamaican Food to support black business owners.  SO, we ordered vegetarian plates from Island Delights in Winchester.



I had drive to WV yesterday for finger printing for a potential temp job.  The weather was beautiful so we decided we would take the yaks on the lake that evening.  While S fished, I explored the coves along the peninsula trying to find the source of the heavenly sweet scent in the air.  I didn't find it, but I did find honeysuckle and wild mint.

As the sun was setting we paddled back to shore.  We ate cobbler and called it dinner.




















*A silly thing about the cobbler:  Every year I seemed to miss a pit and R was always the one to find it which S thought was wildly funny and deemed that whoever got a pit in their cobbler had good luck for the year.   This year, S helped by pitting the cherries for me.  We each got 2 pits in our cobbler.  He had such a laugh over it.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 9:30 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home