Friday, May 29, 2020

Fifteen Rides Around the Sun


Dear Satchel,

Happy 15th ride around the sun!  You have now traveled eight billion seven hundred sixty million miles!  I feel the need to remind you of how far you've come because we are in the middle of a pandemic and have been sheltering in place for 77 days.  And I feel that it is especially important to shine a light on your boundless courage, strength and resilience. 

To do so I must honor the fact that the past year has been one of unimaginable loss.  Three months later we were amidst a 50 car pile up in ice and dense fog that we somehow (gratefully) made it through without a scratch.  Four months after that we are faced with a challenge of historic proportions. 

Despite this past year being, as you named it, "The Worst", you have remained calm and courageous throughout.  Your strength and resilience has been heroic.  Thank you for being you.

This past year you have made new friends, while at the same time nurturing your long time friendships.  This is a great gift.

In addition to keeping up with your traditional schooling, you teach yourself new skills by watching tutorials.  This is wise, because wisdom is not knowing all the answers, but rather asking the questions. As Einstein said, "Curiosity is more important than knowledge".  And you, my son, are so very good at remaining curious and creative. 

Your interests are expansive: fishing techniques, rebuilding, repurposing, recipes, music making.  I marvel at your creations...and your taste in music is superb.

Today is your birthday, and you are the greatest gift I've ever received.

Thank you, again and again, for picking me to be your mother.  Thank you for the reciprocal gift of unconditional love and for the many ways you show it. 

On this anniversary of your birth, may you know how deeply loved and admired you are.  I celebrate you!

 (for beautiful you are my world, my true)

Happy 15th ride around the sun, dear Satchel.
Thank you for being my son.

All my love,
Mama

(Posted at the time of your birth)

Dirt cake, as you requested.


Birthday wishes, the pandemic edition.
And Lorenzo sings his favorite song for his birthday!

Birthday flags and gifts upon the mantel.



Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 12:50 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home