Monday, April 20, 2020

Hope

“Hope is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -"
- Emily Dickinson 
 I have never known what boredom feels like. I think it is a blessing. This morning I had a visit from Woodstock the Goldfinch and his lady, Goldiflocks. I also had a visit from Skye the Bluebird. I had a bunch of over ripe bananas in the freezer so I made Brown Butter Bourbon Banana Bread. I didn't have any bourbon so I substituted homemade Nocino, and chocolate chips because....chocolate. 
I remembered this one day after 9/11, the Red Cross was stationed on my corner and one of the workers stopped me. She offered me some m&ms. I started crying and said, "No thanks, I don't need them". She said, "I know you don't neeeeed them...you neeeeed food and shelter and rest...but chocolate...is for the soul". I laughed. I didn't think I had a laugh left in me.

The great Alice Walker wrote, "Hard times requires furious dancing", I would like to add chocolate to that, and edible stars to float upon Juniper Tea, and a cup made by the hands of a dear friend in Ireland, and thrifted napkins that I dyed with indigo, and also...also...feathered hope.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 3:56 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home