Thursday, January 23, 2020

Guiding Symbol: Starling

"I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
as though I had wings." - Mary Oliver



And did you see that improbable beautiful sunrise this morning?!?!?!
 


I've entered into 2020 feeling lost. I couldn't even find my guiding symbols (I use symbols instead of words) so I carried Lady Elen and Justitia from last year with me, and I think, in some way, they will always be. BUT...over the last several days my car has been swooped by a murmuration of starlings several times. Without forethought I began adding murmuration images throughout my planner / journal, simply because I love them. Then the other day there was a starling in my feeder so, I decided to make Starling my guiding symbol for 2020.

I have no idea what this year will bring, and I'm still feeling lost and scared, but I hope Starling will lead the way.

Starling:
- travel together (birds of a feather)
- strength, unity, freedom
- art & nuance of communication (clear, expressive)*
- group etiquette
- accomplishes tasks
- sensitivity to others
- protection & hope
*They have a complex and uniquely human component to their language, and can recognize other individuals by their voice. They can mimic songs.
http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releas…/…/060426.starling.shtml

Murmuration:
- takes place in the liminal space of dusk / twilight.
- cohesive, unity, togetherness
- forming larger image to baffle predators, shape shifter
- survival instinct, practical, purposeful
- magical coordination
Photo: transfer print from the exquisite Lost Words Spell Book. Later altered with little gold stars on the heart center of each bird.


Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:22 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home