Wednesday, January 08, 2020

First Shenandoah Snow

Trees glitter like castles
of ribbons, the broad fields
smolder with light, a passing
creekbed lies
heaped with shining hills;
and though the questions
that have assailed us all day
remain–not a single
answer has been found–
walking out now
into the silence and the light
under the trees,
and through the fields,
feels like one.
- Mary Oliver, excerpt from First Snow



Yesterday was nothing short of magical and splendid and another buoy for my spirit that lifted me momentarily above grief and fear.

Those moments on the hill, soaking in the laughter of our children as they took flight in their sleds - the crunch under my boots, the feathered air in my lungs as I walk over the land bridge to photograph the pink clouds above the lake, and the glorious trees in their white robes.






My son made mugs of hot cocoa, and poured mine into my favorite mug, the one with the owl. I scooped up the clean, fresh snow to make “snow cones”, one of our winter traditions. 8 heaping cups of snow, 1 tsp vanilla, 14 oz condensed milk, mixed thoroughly and scooped into cones.






I need to find my balloons to distribute to all the children for which to make ice lanterns. Where did I put them? I used to leave them in a basket on my front porch for the taking and making.
Today we wander out again for more playful wintry shenanigans. I think I’ll make some homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese for lunch today.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:17 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home