Monday, June 03, 2013

Eight Rides Around the Sun: Off the Hook Fishing Party

In an instant
the fish's spine
alters the fierce line of rising

and it curls a little --
the head, like scalloped tin,
plunges back,
and it's gone.

This is, I think,
what holiness is:
the natural world,
where every moment is full - Mary Oliver


We celebrated his 8th ride around the sun with a fishing party per his request.  Catch and release is one of his favorite pastimes and he wanted to share that with a few of his besties.  The party prep began Friday while he was at school.  This is the story of how it all came together...



I climbed a ladder and tied a string from the top of the porch post all the way across the side yard to a tree, then covered it with crepe paper and balloon bundles (thank goodness for hand pumps).  I had some Japanese carp kites tucked away and hung them from the line as well.



I spent the rest of the morning baking.  He wanted two kinds of cupcakes, Chocolate Beet Root and Hummingbird.  He requested white chocolate cream cheese icing and wanted them decorated the same way I decorated the cupcakes for his third birthday.   





Then I got to work carving a melon.
















I finished making his goody bags right before he got home from school.  I found a perfect fish image at Vintage Printable and ran white lunch bags through my inkjet.  I punched a hole in the top then fastened each bag with metallic silver ribbon.   
 
When he walked in the door and saw the goody bags he smiled big and said, "Now THAT'S a sign of a cool mom - THANK YOU".  I was so happy that he liked them and even happier that he still thinks I'm cool.  Inside the bags were special treats like realistic candy worms,  a fortune telling fish, and shark tooth bracelets that his Great Uncle sent for this special day.



That night, his daddy made bamboo fishing poles for all the kids so they would be ready to hike out to the lake upon arrival.  




Fast forward to the party...

G caught a fish and several of the crew caught turtles.   (Photo of G by Steve Scott)








 



















When they returned they were sweaty and ready for a feast.   There was plenty of homemade lemonade, fruit and pizza for all the fisher-peeps.
 





 



















The fishing crew still had room for cupcakes!

(Top photo by Steve Scott)



The birthday boy opened his gifts.


I placed the goody bags and nets in the front yard so our cherished friends would not forget to take them home.

 




















Meanwhile some really swell tunes wafted from the front porch where I planted some speakers oldskool.  Here's the party playlist:

Gone Fishin' - Rising Appalachia
Beyond the Sea - Bobby Darin
Octopus's Garden - Beatles
Sloop John B - Dan Zanes
Froggie Went a Courtin - Bob Dylan
Pieces of 8 - Captain Boggs
Yellow Submarine - Beatles
Lazy River - Louis Prima
Send me on my Way - Rusted Root
Take me to the River - Talking Heads
darkRad - Tankdrum Chase



Have a listen on Groove Shark...


Satchel's Off the Hook Fishing Party by lifted lorax on Grooveshark

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 1:08 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home