Wednesday, June 26, 2013

About Friends

About Friends by Brian Jones

The good thing about friends
is not having to finish sentences.

I sat a whole summer afternoon with my friend once
on a river bank, bashing heels on the baked mud
and watching the small chunks slide into the water
and listening to them - plop plop plop.
He said, 'I like the twigs when they...you know...
like that.' I said, 'There's that branch...'
We both said, 'Mmmm'. The river flowed and flowed
and there were lots of butterflies, that afternoon.




His besty moved to MI and he is quietly lamenting yet hopeful of visiting.  That night we went to Purple Beech to watch the fireflies and bats under the super moon where we said our good byes.  I found in his room, two letters since Monday.

His first draft, so playful and sweet, "I hope you find destined treasure".






















His second draft...my heart aches for him as I read his truth.  "I enjoyed having you as a friend...I hope to see you again...fondly".

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 10:40 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home