Friday, December 09, 2011

Bringing Up the Sun

the sun

blazes
for everyone just
so joyfully
as it rises

under the lashes
of my own eyes, and I thought
I am so many!
What is my name?

What is the name
of the deep breath I would take
over and over
for all of us? Call it

whatever you want, it is
happiness, it is another one
of the ways to enter
fire.

~ Mary Oliver

















He awoke early and padded down the stairs. "You're just in time", I said, "if you hurry and put your coat on you can see the sunrise before you get ready for school". He put on his coat and his shoes and we ran to the vista in our pajamas. We were out of breath, but made it in time.

"It's so beautiful", he squealed, "thank you for showing me".

We walked home elated, though a bit cold and soggy around the ankles from the wet grass. I made a warm breakfast and we sipped some hot cocoa.

"Mama...one way to bring up the sun is with music", he said.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 4:33 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home