Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Original Spirit

"Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit with which to tackle the big challenges; it should allow you to find values which will be your road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are, whomever you are with; it should teach you what is important, how to live..." – John Taylor Gatto

















S on his first day of school - first grade! His full report:

"It's a little bit fun and a little bit boring. Music class was good. We saw a film, but I wasn't interested in it. If they show a film about dinosaurs or volcanoes I'll be interested. Tomorrow we have art class! They have a library, but they wouldn't let me borrow any books. I don't think they have a science room. I want science. I told the teacher when I felt 'jumpy' and she took me for a walk around the school so I could feel better. There's too much sitting, I need more movement. I think women teachers are gentler than men teachers. I want to invent my own school, a barefoot school, my feet sweat. "



Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:17 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger | MapleDip | said...

I read your blog but don't often comment. My son also started school this year and I think he'd agree with your son's sentiments exactly. There is never a perfect situation so we try and make the most of what is available. My son goes to a private school that we felt was best for us. Is it perfect? No. My hope is that he gets from school what he needs to develop his unique spirit and doesn't totally suck the creativity and spontaneous joy out of him. My son has a tough time with all the sitting and likes to spend a lot of time socializing. If you ever find that barefoot school, let me know, we'll be the first to enroll.

11:01 AM  
Blogger thea said...

I found you from Darcy's painting of Mighty Girls. I have a little boy-6yrs old. He also loves volcanoes, science, music and art.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

thank you thea and mapledip for taking the time to share lives with me. i do love it :-)

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home