Saturday, November 27, 2010

She's Got Skills!

"How did she get those coins under your pillow without waking you?"
"She's got SKILLS!", he exclaimed.

Satch had an exciting holiday weekend. When I picked him up from the meadow on Wednesday, he showed me that his wobbly tooth was EXTREMELY wobbly. He kept his composure while at the meadow, but the moment he sat in the car, he lost it.

Satch struggles with transitions, including those that are celebrated by most. We've read books about losing teeth and the various traditions around the world. We even made a fairy door in anticipation of this day, but Satch is really having a hard time with this.

Once home, we played some games in a feeble attempt to take his mind off his tooth, a few rounds of Go-Fish, Animal Rummy and a memory game called, "I Never Forget a Face" wherein the child from Scotland just so happens to be missing a front tooth.

After about 2 hours, I was feeling a tad frayed and just wanted it over with. I thought perhaps if the tooth were finally out, the teetering-tooth-tirade would end. I handed him a fruit twist. Naturally his tooth fell right out.  Instead of being relieved, or excited, Satch went ballistic..."THIS IS THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE" he screamed on continuous loop.










Once he calmed down a smidge, we went upstairs to hang the fairy door....


We bought the door here!
Paint: Glidden testers in Robin's Egg blue and Marshmallow white.

















He chose to hang it above our family bed. Before we stuck it to the wall, I wrote the date on the back with a black Sharpie and explained, "One day, you can do this for your children and write the date they lost their first tooth on this door, and even your grandchildren". This seemed to lift his spirits. You see, if you ask Satch what he wants to be when he grows up, he'll reply, "I want to be a Dad...I want 3 children...and I want to be with my family". I believe the thought of this wee door being passed down through generations helped settle his mood some. I snapped this photo of him on the way to pick up his daddy at the bus stop.

Satch woke up 'round 2 in the morning and discovered that tooth fairy came, and brought 2 dollars in quarters. He was so excited that he had a hard time sleeping thereafter. When he finally went back to sleep, I threw in the towel and got up at 4 am. Satch padded downstairs at 6 am excitedly recounting the predawn visit from the tooth fairy.

We spent a relaxing Thanksgiving at home this year, just the 3 of us, rather than driving back to NY. We had a crackling fire. We ate roasted Tofurkey with gravy, stuffed acorn squash, cranberry sauce and spinach tartlets. The boys made pumpkin pie for dessert. We noticed that our neighbor was home alone so we fixed her a plate.

The following day we went to Town Center and sipped hot cocoa curbside while the holiday parade marched by - a one hour festive romp perfectly timed so the lunch crowd could flock to the eateries for a post parade nosh and shoppers could hit the Black Friday sales.































 We returned home to recharge with left-over holiday feast before returning after sundown for the tree lighting ceremony and our first skate of the season. Satchel's first skate EVER!





Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:17 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger denise said...

Sounds like transitions in our home. So many good things to help him through. :)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Jessica Monte said...

I love this post. So glad to hear that Satch enjoyed his first visit from the tooth fairy. I love the fairy door, btw, :-) If I were a fairy, I'd definitely opt for a torquoise door too, :-)

Oh, and I loved my tofurkey too, hee hee.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home