Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The Living and the Loving

"Be
Be, butterfly and behemoth,
be galaxy and grasshopper,
star and sparrow,
you matter,
you are,
be!....

S is decoding the mysteries around him. From punctuation to traffic signs, no stone is left unturned in his "Naming" process. He uses his findings to create lists, maps and signage of his own. Every Saturday he makes a list of treats to buy at the market, and has recently begun emphasizing his requests with exclamation marks.

One evening, as he was setting the table, he decided to make place cards for our seats. Of course that ignited a creative spark and I let my ember smolder until we had a "Code Red Air Quality Day". That day came soon after and I grabbed the fabric markers and some cotton place mats (that I bought at Ikea for 99 cents) and asked S to design our family place mats.


















On his own mat, he drew our family including Elvis the cat.

I love how he portrayed himself with his long hair and striped shirt, his father with shaved head, glasses and plaid shirt. Above our little home, a huge heart filled with love...and a dragon for good measure, of course.

On mine...how we are portrayed looking very much alike...the elephant in my flower garden and the bird flying by. I love how he made a rainbow heart because he remembered how the song, "Double Rainbow" makes me laugh (so intense).

But most of all...I am swooning over all the heart shaped dollops of love that adorn each of our place mats.

Sing for the glory
of the living and the loving
the flaming of creation
sing with us
dance with us
be with us.
Be!" - Madeleine L'Engle (A Wind in the Door)
*If you would like to be with us...we will be enjoying an Autumn afternoon at the Morris Arboretum, exploring the Tree Adventure and visiting Patrick's Summer Palace on Oct. 10th! I am booking only a few photo sessions in the gorgeous gardens...if you'd like to hire, please contact me to save the slot.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:18 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home