Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Blessed Be Water

Let us bless the humility of water,
Always willing to take the shape
Of whatever otherness holds it.

Water: vehicle and idiom
Of all the inner voyaging
That keeps us alive.

Blessed be water,
Our first mother.

- John O'Donohue (To Bless the Space Between Us)

S had his first water balloon fight, instigated by his mama. We hid behind a bush and waited for our neighbor's son to return from practice and I lobbed one over the shrubs and hit his leg.

It wasn't long before a water war broke out and at one point there were 6 kids. When we ran out of ammo, we resorted to buckets and hoses and the water blaster we bought S at the dollar store.

The kids were SOAKED!

We grilled some corn and tofu for dinner and while we were eating, I told S about the time the NYPD knocked on the door of my flat on Sullivan St. because of the water balloon fight I had started on the rooftop. I still remember the way the officer's face contorted as he struggled not to laugh.

In the morning a begoggled imp in mismatched pajamas appeared in the kitchen ready for battle. A treaty was passed...for the moment.

Later that day, my neighbor stopped me on the way to my door and said, "the kids had so much fun yesterday". I opened my shopping bag to reveal FIVE more water blasters and an arsenal of water balloons. Smiles were exchanged.

More mischief in the making.

Happy Cinco de Mayo!


Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:37 AM


Blogger denise said...

You are the fun mom on the block! Yay! I've been struggling with energy issues, should do more of that. :)

9:56 AM  
Anonymous pixie said...

What a great story!! You guys are the hot spot on the block, fo sho. Wish I was your neighbor!!

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Related Posts with Thumbnails