Monday, March 08, 2010

Most Alive Monday: Happy Mom

"Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous!" - Willy Wonka

I want to take a moment to thank everyone for their support, well wishes and resources. I feel so blessed that my diary has enabled me to connect with so many kindreds and even more blessed to have developed friendships with some of you in person. I've said it time and again, I'm the luckiest person on Earth.
I received a comment last week that gave me pause and I wanted to take a moment to respond to it because I don't want anyone thinking that I'm something I'm not. For the record, I am an oridinary person. I have good days and bad days just like the rest of the world. I get tired, I get frustrated, I lose patience, I get annoyed with my husband, I get sick and that is pretty darn ordinary, isn't it?

Last week, I received a comment from happymom which read:

"Wow - what a bummer. I am amazed that you can suffer migraines, and still find the energy for Most Alive Mondays and crystals, and chocolate strawberries. You are an amazing person."


And here I must respond and dispel any myths and snark that I'm an "amazing" person...

My migraines lasted approx 10 hours each, though I would have to confer with my husband as I lost track of time due to the pain. The next day or two after the migraine, I felt pretty much like crap, exhausted and achy, but I couldn't flop because I have a 4 1/2 year old son who wants to do stuff.

This blog is my diary and very much a part of my own self care...especially Most Alive Mondays because it reminds me to be aware of the beauty in the ordinary. Each week I look for a moment that felt special to me in some way and then I add it to the queue to post automatically on the following Monday. So, as the new week unfolds, I have that moment from the prior week to reflect upon as a buoy for the week ahead. Something light to float on in the event of a crappy day that we all have from time to time, but rather not cling to.

My son was extremely excited about the crystal growing kit that his dad bought during their trip to the museum (while I rested from the postdrome aka migraine hangover) and heartbroken when we realized how toxic the kit was. Thankfully, crystals don't require any energy on my part, short of boiling some sugar syrup and pouring it into a jar. The rest is up to evaporation which I have nothing to do with. To his credit, my wee son agreed to wait until the following day to give me just a bit more recovery time before our Rock Candy experiment.

With regard to the chocolate covered strawberries, it seemed like a simple request. Melt some chocolate in the microwave, let cool and enjoy the hush while the wee boy is dipping berries. A moment of sweet peace from a very patient boy waiting for his mama to get better.









Indeed, the 3 migraines I've had were a bummer, in fact, they down right sucked. But what sucked even more than the pain was not being able to enjoy my son. You see, if given a choice, I would much rather be on the floor playing Legos with my son than barfing in the back of an ambulance. I am grateful for those moments when the pain ebbed...those moments when something so simple and effortless like making rock candy or dipping strawberries became an absolute wonder and delight to my son.

I'm not amazing, that's "crystal" clear! Yet the world is amazing to one little boy who just discovered that he could grow candy on a stick.

*About Most Alive Monday: I've decided to make at least one "most alive choice" each day and post my favorite each Monday. This, of course, is to motivate me to consciously "live juicy"! I hope you'll join me and share your "most alive moment" in the comments section so we may inspire each other.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:36 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Cheryn said...

wendy,

as someone who comments here from having been impressed or inspired by your posts, i do want to note that in doing so, even if using the word amazing, it is a sincere "pat on the back" from another mother of little ones.
:)
cheryn

5:04 PM  
Anonymous pixie said...

oh do shut up. you are amazing. i know firsthand. we are all amazing. curtsy, already, you divine mama of ordinary bliss! :)

2:25 AM  
Blogger happymom said...

I reserve the right to continue thinking you're amazing.

Pixie, I agree! Revel in it, breath it in, enjoy it while you can. We all need to know we're amazing.

3:08 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thank you, truly. I am much more comfortable with "we are all amazing". Yet I know I'm quite ordinary and I think that's a good thing :-)

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home