Monday, February 01, 2010

Most Alive Monday: How Might It Be?

"How might it have been different for you, if early in your life, the first time you as a tiny child felt your anger coming together inside yourself, someone, a parent, or grandparent, or older sister or brother, had said, "Bravo! Yes, that's it! You're feeling it!"

If, the first time you had experienced that sharp awareness of ego, of "me, I'm me, not you!"...you had been received and hugged and affirmed, instead of shamed and isolated?

If someone had been able to see that you were taking the first tiny baby steps towards feeling your feelings, of knowing that you saw life differently than those around you. If you had been helped to experience your own uniqueness, to feel the excitement of sensing, for the very first time, your own awareness of life. What if someone helped you to own all of this...to own your own life? How might it be different for you?" - Judith Duerk


Photo: Satchel's chestnut fleet sailing a puddle

I am astonished by how well Satch is doing with OT. I'm beginning to see more of the boy I knew before this SPD thing started escalating. Clearly he's feeling more centered and I'm so happy for him. He's owning his life, and he knows that I'm here to help him.

"Mama, I love you just the way you are", he said.

"And I love you just the way you are", I replied.

I could have cried right there. The beauty of that moment...so many times I have said those words to him and now to hear them echoed in his voice. What a gift!

Speaking of gifts...check out this bit of loveliness from Amy Krouse Rosenthal...



*About Most Alive Monday: I've decided to make at least one "most alive choice" each day and post my favorite each Monday. This, of course, is to motivate me to consciously "live juicy"! I hope you'll join me and share your "most alive moment" in the comments section so we may inspire each other.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:14 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara Glickstein, RN, MPH, MS said...

The right to feel ambivalent that needs needs space in our lives and our child's development. I don't mean masking feelings or holding back emotions but being able to say you just don't know how you feel. Ambivalence can be experienced as a transitory stage towards taking a position or just that - ambivalent all by itself. Basta. It wasn't until adulthood that I "got" that ambivalence was a totally acceptable stance.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Veronica TM said...

i cannot even explain what this post has done for me right now. i needed this.
sorry about what satch and you are going through. but i see you are both looking at it in the eye with courage.
thank you for having this space and sharing it, wendy! i can say it is the most inspiring place to visit, i mean it.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Jessica Monte said...

That is an amazing boat and photograph. I hope we can get together soon Wendy. It looks like Thursday afternoons would be a good day. What do you think?

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home