Thursday, December 17, 2009

Happy Holidays With Deep Gratitude

It is time for my annual channeling of the spirit of Theodore Geisel by honoring the message of The Lorax and saving a few trees ( sending my holiday cheer via pixels vs. pulp). I want you all to know how grateful I am to have you in my life. I feel honored to be sharing this lifetime with all of you. And because there are those more gifted in words than I could ever hope to be, I would like to offer you a photo and this poem by Michael Blumenthal as it conveys, more eloquently, that which I wish to say.

I will be away from this diary and in brief hibernation until January 4th. Until then...here's a link for some printable paper snowflakes as seen in the garland that hangs above our family bed. Just print, fold, snip and enjoy!

May you be well, and happy and full of mischief as I am, or as Satch would say, "Have a good time and try not to break anything".

Peace out,
Wendy
























And the Cantilevered Inference Shall Hold the Day
by Michael Blumenthal

Things are not as they seem: the innuendo of everything makes
itself felt and trembles towards meanings we never intuited
or dreamed. Take, for example, how the warbler, perched on a

mere branch, can kidnap the day from its tediums and send us
heavenwards, or how, held up by nothing we really see, our
spirits soar and then, in a mysterious series of twists and turns,

come to a safe landing in a field, encircled by greenery. Nothing
I can say to you here can possibly convince you...

but the world as we know
is full of surprises, and the likelihood that here, in the shape
of this very bird, redemption awaits us should not be dismissed

so easily. Each year, days swivel and diminish along their inscrutable
axes, then lengthen again until we are bathed in light we were not
prepared for...

No one who encrusticates (I made that up!) his silliness in a bowl,

waiting for sanctity, can ever know how lovely playfulness can be,
and, that said, let me wish you a Merry One (or Chanukah if you
prefer), and may whatever holds you up stay forever beneath you,

and may the robin find many a worm, and our cruelties abate,
and may you be well and happy and full of mischief as I am,
and may all your nothings, too, hold something up and sing.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 4:42 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

Peace and love to you and yours, Wendy!
Thank you for a wonderful year of inspiring posts.
You and your dear boy bring me so much joy.
I look forward to journeying alongside you in the year ahead.xo

10:23 AM  
Anonymous allison said...

I hope your holidays are filled with warmth and love. Much happiness to you and your beautiful family Wendy. xx

10:29 AM  
Blogger RunninL8 said...

happy holidays and safe travels to you! I always look so forward to your blog-thanks for all you share!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Veronica TM said...

thank you, wendy! happy holidays to you!!! this blog is a gift i am always thankful for.
hugs to satch!!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Anne Keisman Cissel said...

What a wonderful message. I shared that poem with some close friends -- favorite line =

"Take, for example, how the warbler, perched on a

mere branch, can kidnap the day from its tediums and send us
heavenwards ..."

WOW! Have a wonderful holiday and thanks again for all of the wonderful contributions you have made to National Wildlife Federation.

Anne Keisman
GreenHour.org

3:49 PM  
Blogger Jessica Monte said...

Happy New Year Wendy and Satch!

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home