Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Summer Day

Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean--
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down,
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.

I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day. - Mary Oliver


Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:22 AM

2 Comments:

Anonymous vickie said...

must read more mary oliver...i LOVE this

9:04 AM  
Blogger RunninL8 said...

That's a fabulous poem-just read it to my 14 year old.
I was amazed with your earlier posts regarding being a stay at home mom. You handled it so graciously and eloquently-i think I luv ya a little! ;)
It really is unreal, the ire that will spill forth when a statement is made in favor of staying at home-even when it's a PERSONAL inner observation. i once posted about how grateful I was that I could be with my child all day-that I wasn't missing out on all those milestones that I would have had she been in daycare. Boy you should have seen the wrath!
I'm wondering what responses I might get with my latest post about how I can't stand public education!
My heart broke in a way i never would have imagined when I had to drop my little girl off at all day kindergarten today...

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home