Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mom to Mom: Lori Lite

I discovered this amazing mama when I was researching children's wellness products and relaxation techniques for Mighty Girl Art. I can personally attest to the benefits of guided meditation because an amazing nurse used guided imagery with bio feedback to help me manage the stress of IVF while trying to conceive Satch. Lori has been featured on CBS News, in USA Today, and Prevention Magazine. Her mission is to "empower children to be active participants in creating their own calm, peaceful, heart driven lives". She utilizes story telling, guided imagery and meditation as tools to help children manage anxiety, and stress while promoting self-esteem. It is a pleasure to introduce, Lori...

Mom: Lori Lite
Of: Three lovely Children.
Where: Marietta, GA
Site: Lite Books
Blog: Stress Free Kids

1. In what ways has becoming a mother changed you?

Being a mom really changed the way that I look at the world. It affected my anxiety levels. I never considered myself anxious prior to children. I became much more aware of my surroundings and felt tremendous pressure to make sure my children were safe.

2. What message would you like to share with other mothers?

Being a mom can be a stressful journey. I would encourage moms to learn relaxation techniques for themselves. I created Indigo Dreams: Adult Relaxation for that purpose. A relaxed mom makes for a relaxed child. I would also introduce your children to stress management techniques as young as 4 years old. All you do is read one of my books like Sea Otter Cove, the child follows the characters along and learns diaphragmatic breathing.

3. How do you orchestrate your passions as Mother, Author?

I work from my kitchen table. I can whip up a homemade soup and write a story all in the same space. I like that my children see me work and create.I show them to always follow your dreams and believe in yourself.

4. What inspired you to create Stress Free Kids?

Receiving heart warming notes from parents, teacher, and psychologists that have seen my stories touch and change a child’s life has inspired me to create more books and CDs to help children. When I go to sleep at night I know that I have made a difference to a child and I want to give them more ways to help them have a peaceful sleep.

5. What are some things that parents can do help alleviate the effect of stress in the lives of their children?

Parents should remember that stress is contagious but so is calm. If you demonstrate relaxation and positive statements in your parenting routine your children will follow. Schedule downtime, watch what your children are being exposed to on TV, give them boundaries. Handle situations calmly and give your children the tools to counteract stress, anger, and anxiety. My Indigo Dreams CD series makes it easy.

6. What moves you, grounds you, fills your well?

I find that I am happiest when I am creating. It could be working on new stories, taking a photo to use in a newsletter, or working with my artists. Right now I am creating a new look for my website and writing new relaxation stories with a rain forest theme. My heart feels like it could burst with joy when I hear one of my children advising a friend with words of wisdom they heard from me. I am moved whenever I read a positive experience someone has had with one of my stories…… so please keep the little notes coming my way.

*Lori is going to be a contestant on "Shark Tank," SUNDAY, AUGUST 23 (9:00-10:00 p.m., ET).

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:29 AM

1 Comments:

Anonymous Renuka said...

Hey Wendy,
I just read this post and I went straight to Amazon to order 2 of her books. Hoping A will benefit from it. Thanks for introducing me to these books, without you I would have never known about them.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home