Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sidewalk Games
















I keep thinking about the games I used to play when I was a child, games that were played outside with neighbors and friends. I keep looking around the yards and wondering, where are all the kids? Are they inside playing Wii?

We keep little baskets of rocks and sidewalk chalk outside in Satchel's wagon for instant gratification. I found that the chalk sticks are actually more vivid after they've been rained on. Satchel's great uncle sent him a set of 3D chalk for his birthday...really work! All the kids in our neighborhood were over our house drawing on the sidewalk - cool!

I want to start an anti-Wii movement and get the kids outside interacting with other children, instead of machines.

Sterling Publishing has a wonderful little book that is sure to bring back memories and bring back the fun!!!

What was your favorite game?

Some of my favorite games were:

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:07 AM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Annie said...

Lily's extremely fond of drawing out and playing hop scotch. I love what games she comes up with when outside.

We are a wii free home. Not the reason why I don't have one but it doesn't offer an experience similar to real life movement. It seems like people are buying into this idea that it's a good substitute for real sports or real fun. This is something I just don't understand.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Jessica Monte said...

Great post. Our neighbors actually shared a similar tip about sidewalk chalk (to leave it out in the rain so that it becomes more like pastel).

We do have a bucket that is just waiting to be left outside, so I think we'll have to do that and try out a couple of your favorite chalk and sidewalk games.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

would you believe, i didn't even know what wii was until just a month or so ago.

7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home