Thursday, May 21, 2009

Calling All Kindred Spirits!

OK, so it's time to reveal one of the projects that I've been working so hard on. I'm thrilled to announce the launch of Mighty Girl Art !


Mighty Girl is an art empowerment camp for young girls that meets in a 30 foot modern Tipi located on a beautiful vista in Northern Virginia. We live in a society where a girl's self confidence is challenged daily by an assault of images which suggest that they are somehow not good enough the way they are. Mighty Girl Art Camp empowers young girls to feel good about themselves through a series of projects that fosters creativity and nurtures self-esteem.

My camp has been launched with the generous support of many wonderful beings. Without their help, I would not have been able to do this. I'm working on the finishing touches now...the special little details that will make the girls feel special and heard...like a little token of appreciation that I can present to them each day.

So, I'm sending this thought out to all of my sistas! If you have special little something that you would like to share with my Mighty Girls, like artist trading cards, positive affirmations cards...anything that will inspire, or encourage them, please contact me via the link at the campsite.

I'm also looking for some funky vintage aprons for the girls to work in. I think it will be another fun touch that they will get a kick. They will enjoy the bright, quaint fabric and it will make a powerful statement as these aprons will be used while they feed their souls. I also need to find a cheap or free boom box or self-powered speakers for my ancient discman so I can play some righteous grooves while they're creating and bust out a dance of joy or two.

If you can help with any of those things, please contact me via the link over at Mighty Girl Art! And visit often during the last week of July as I will be posting photos and letters from camp.

Have a good weekend! See you Monday Tuesday.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:32 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

LOVE this idea, Wendy! You are such an inspiration. Those are going to be some very lucky girls (and future women!)

Would love to know more about your curriculum, etc. I'm actually about to take on a very prominent role in the children's arts in my local community.

Email me your addy so I can send along something fine for your girls. You should see if Jen Lemen has the girls' zine she took to Africa in English ...

8:00 AM  
Blogger nina beana said...

i'm a proud proud friend of mighty girl art. xx

8:58 AM  
Blogger jena strong said...

This is fantastic! Let me know when you launch your first Mighty Girl sleepover option and I'm sending my girls south.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Jill said...

Wow Wendy, this is awesome!!! I hope you are still doing this in ten years when my little one can come! You have my utmost excitement and enthusiasm, and I can't wait to hear more about it when you get started! Hooray!!!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

i was overwhelmed with emotion when i read this yesterday and couldn't find the words to comment.
i had myself and my mighty girl & boy road~tripping down to meet you. i imagined her playing with you and me hangin' out with our boys ;-)
congratulations wendy!
such an inspiration.xox

1:02 PM  
Anonymous luckybeans said...

This such an incredible idea, Wendy! I hope your teepee is bursting at the seams!

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home