Wednesday, May 13, 2009

All In A Day

The tree pollen count was high so that limited us to one quick jaunt outside. Satch found his first caterpillar of the season and we brought it home for an overnight in our bug jar. He named it "Parsley".


Then we had to come up with indoor activities. I began stringing some beads to wrap around a giant straw hat that I plan to wear on our family holiday at the beach in August. I saw a similar, pricey hat in a catalog and decided to recreate it myself for approx. 1/4 of the price...and frankly, I like mine better.

Satch sat beside me sorting through my bucket of beads and went wild over a chunky striped glass bead. I gave him a piece of faux leather cord and he created his first necklace.

I offered him a silver clasp, but he rejected it and came up with his own cold connection closure.

I showed him a simple knot and loop closure which met with his approval and he was so proud of his creation, he wore it all day. Sans the clothes pin, of course.

After dinner we went to the "Track Lab" event at our Nature Center where the children learned to identify some of our local wildlife by their tracks and scat. We listened to animal calls and Satch identified the call of the Chickadee and I had one of those proud parent moments. The children were given a piece of air dry clay to make their own animal poop sculptures, but we chose to make tracks instead. The kids loved the whole poop idea, but Satch wanted to make something else. I asked the speaker for a foot mold and she gave us a rubber fox mold. We now have a lovely fox track for our nature basket.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:46 AM

1 Comments:

Anonymous Stacy (mama-om) said...

How sweet - I love the track and Satch's creations (and yours, too :)

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home