Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Remembering & Reptiles

He will not remember that I marked the Calendar, "Monday-Reptiles". He will not remember that I nearly forgot about it, took a 5 minute shower and rushed to get out the door. He will not remember that, because we were late, I didn't dare wait for a bus and pushed him two miles in the stroller. He will not remember that I was three days early because I wrote down the wrong date. He will only remember that on that day, I broke my golden McRule of not exposing him to the golden arches unless on a road trip. He will remember that I bought him fries and a spiderman toy.

He will remember that Thursday was Reptiles Day. He will remember that we rode the new cushy bus across town. He will remember that male Box Turtles have red eyes. He will remember touching the smooth scales of the Corn Snake.
He will not remember that we waited 30 minutes in the cold for the return bus or how the bus driver never stopped to pick us up. He will remember how I ran with him in my arms and caught that bus at a red light. He will remember how he laughed and held tightly. He will not remember how the driver looked right at us when he drove away. He will remember how I chased the bus again. He will remember how funny it was when we knocked on the door of that bus two blocks later at another red light. He will not remember that the bus driver left us again. He will not remember how I sat on the sidewalk exhausted and out of breath and choking back tears. He will remember sitting next to me in that odd place and the whir of traffic. He will not remember the stranger in the car at the intersection who rolled down his window with mouth agape, trying to find words to console me.

He will remember that we walked home. He will remember that walking kept us warm. He will remember the cherry blossoms. He will remember the three footed turtle named Stumpy.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:59 AM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

he will remember what an amazing mom you are! have a beautiful day!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Cheryn said...

awww i just loved reading that.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, i can't beleive the bus driver....i can believe that you make wonderful memories for Satch and you! sounds like that day was filled with many highs and lows....

1:43 PM  
Blogger et lille oejeblik - a little moment said...

what a sweet post. what sweet memories you create for your son (wonder was eating the bus driver, not picking up a mother and her child).

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home