Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Chocolate Wha?

We made Chocolate Beet Root mini cupcakes for Valentine's Day. I wanted to make Red Velvet cakes, but am terrified of the red food coloring. The natural food coloring was 7 bucks for a little bottle - huh?!?! So I tried this recipe instead. And now, I'm reporting back on the cupcakes: There was no hint of red which was a definite bummer. They smelled good and earthy. On the first bite I thought I was about to be disappointed because it seemed bland, but then the dutch cocoa hit me. It was not very sweet unlike most cakes, so this was probably a good bet for the kidlets. I made some white chocolate cream cheese icing - rather yummy. I made a little pastry bag with a ziploc and Satch added a dollop to each mini cake.

We brought half of them to Satchel's Creative Zone class and the other half we devoured with Satchel's grandma who was visiting from NY.











Satch developed a nasty URI with a fever and a viral rash on his cheeks. The doc has ruled out Fifth's Disease and Strep as the rash looks more like Petechiae. The whole thing is a bit odd. Satch is on the sofa right now yelling, "get these germs out of my life" and he sounds more like a frog than a boy. I'm exhausted from his sleepless night.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 7:30 AM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor wee Satch, hope he feels better soon and you both get some sleep.

8:57 AM  
Blogger mama to a and n said...

Hope he is feeling better soon. Those cupcakes are adorable!

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home