Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Super Soup


I've been a bit under the weather without much energy to do anything 'cept make soup and sew a few birds (from vintage hanky scraps - fitting fabric considering the current state of our snouts) for our Xmas tree during Satchel's nap (Will post bird pics tomorrow).

I made this "Creamy Cauliflower Soup" from Heidi Swanson's book, "Super Natural Cooking". It is sooo delicious, in fact, that my husband (a devout cauliflower-hater) LOVES this soup. I didn't have Brazil nuts in the house, so I made the spinach pesto with cashews and it was darn tasty. I have served this soup without the pesto and it's terrific on its own. I even tried spreading some pesto on toasted crusty bread and floating it on top of the soup like a giant crouton and it was mighty yummy.

The recipes in this book are wholesome, simple and seriously delicious. Heidi focuses on, natural sweeteners, less processed fats, and whole grains in this collection of highly nutritious recipes. We've enjoyed them so much that I've subscribed to the RSS feed of her recipe journal.

*Cauliflower, by the way, is a nutritionally dense vegetable and high in vitamin C, so I suspect we'll all be on the mend quite soon.

In regard to our schnozzes: Last week I took Satch to a play group at our community center and had merry time when I noticed a wee girl with a wicked runny nose. Each time she licked the steady stream of snot off her top lip, I thought, why do parents bring sick kids to play groups? I would have left, but I didn't want to disappoint Satch. Well, despite my efforts to fend off the germs with thorough hand washing prior to departure, my son developed a runny nose and other symptoms on cue a few days later. Then my husband took a punch from this nasty virus which knocked him off his feet and in bed for the entire day (no kidding) before passing the super morphed version on to me.

The play group came and went yesterday and I did not take Satch because I didn't want to infect other children and because I felt like crapola.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:27 AM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are all feeling better soon! I'm the only one in this house with a cold at the moment. It sucks! :(

Your soup reminded me of the chili I made the other night because I made a cilantro pesto to be spoon on top and mixed in. You're sounds lovely, but they I love all things cauliflower!

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the long stretch of years when you try to outrun the sneezes. I have to say that this year I've detected a noticeable improvement, but you don't want to calculate the span in between.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home