Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Conflict Resolution

"Baby it's cold outside" - Frank Loesser

One of the new struggles is getting Satch to wear his coat in winter weather. I tried the brilliant Shelley & Tama method and believe it or not, it didn't work. He walked the entire way to the car without his coat. I was floored.

 So...I came up with this. I color coded a thermometer (with some wiggle room for his personal furnace which runs warmer than mine) and hung it on the window.










Then I photographed some of his gear and made a coordinating chart.

Now he can check the temperature and figure it out for himself. I thought perhaps it would give him some sense of control...Oh heck, I don't know...

But anyway, last eve he was heading out the door with his dad and I asked him what the thermometer said. "BLUE" he replied. So I held the chart and said, "See if you can find the things in the blue rectangle all by yourself". And he DID! He walked over to the coat rack and found the gear- no drama! I don't know how long this will last, but I'll let you know when the honeymoon is over.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:03 AM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! You're empowering him to make the sensible choice on his own and avoiding a power struggle. Yay! Love your idea.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that my dear is awesome! you gave him control and let him figure it out, that made more sense to him than being told what to do. whalllah no struggle. Nice one! i may have to do this with everyday outfits for my little girl.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Sorry our method didn't do the trick, but very pleased to hear about your very own successful method!

Woo hoo!

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home