Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Cirque Invisible

I had the good fortune of being in the audience when the beautiful and talented Victoria Chaplin and her adorable husband, Jean-Baptiste Thiérrée, performed "Cirque Invisible" in 1997 at the John Jay Theater in NYC! I had never seen anything so visually beautiful, imaginative, intelligent and witty in all my life. There were gasps of awe and wonder by both adults and children alike and all the while I thought, "if I have a child one day...I want him/her to see this". Well, I have been stalking this extraordinary duo for the last three years, waiting and wishing that they will return to the US.

Victoria Chaplin is the daughter of the great Charlie Chaplin whom, truth be told, I've been secretly in love with since I was a young girl. If you've ever seen him without his make-up you would understand why - such a beautiful man! Victoria's husband, Jean-Baptiste Thiérrée has the most expressive face framed by a bob of long gray hair. The couple completely captivated without a single word uttered.



Their son, James, who looks strikingly like his grandfather Charlie is also quite a talented performer. He directed and produced "Au Revoir Paraplui" and wowed the audiences at BAM. Video below...watch for the walking forest - it's WONDROUS!

*There...I've shared one of my obsessions! I'm also obsessed with Burrata Cheese, but that's a story for another day. If anyone out there has any connections and can somehow lure a member of the Chaplin family to the DC area for a performance tour, I will gladly give you all my Burrata cheese. Have a good weekend, everyone!

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:00 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger Ginger Carlson, author said...

We saw them some years back in Copenhagen and were astounded and felt so fortunate to be witness to their amazing show and talents, especially since we just kind of stumbled onto it while exploring the city.

Thanks for sharing. :)

12:17 PM  
Blogger denise said...

Oh, wonderful! I love ethereal shows of light and beauty and performance art. We have a group locally (Cycropia Aerial Dance) that has kids circus/performance camp and I can't wait until the boys are old enough - they want to go! :)

1:31 PM  
Blogger jenica said...

how beautiful! similar to momix. soulful dance performance makes me cry. i especially liked right after the forest scene when they were falling into cartwheels back and forth. so moving.

3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home