Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Kick in the Bawlz

"The cure for anything is water - sweat, tears, or the sea" - Isak Dinesen

The tears come in the darkness when the wee is asleep and I awake from slumber feeling like I've been kicked in the bawlz by the universe. It happens every day, everywhere, I know... I know! People lose pets, friends, family members - it happens and yet not one loss is less painful or less tragic than another. It seems like a really rotten trick to give your heart away to a mischievous fur ball for 15 years then have to face the possibility of having to say good bye...too soon. It's always too soon!

On this summer morning I am thankful for public swimming pools, for little boys with sweaty ringlets; for bare feet on wood floors, for homemade kites and warm breezes; for drippy ice cream cones; for hummingbird visits in the early morn; for grass-stained sheets dragged down hillsides while a squealing boy holds tightly with dimpled fists; for the bird's nest we found on the ground (woven with the sticky wrapper of an after dinner mint from McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant) which we gingerly carried home and placed on our mantle; for the little hand that gets tangled in my hair at night; for the purrs of a blue-eyed cat; for the thread of pixels that connect distant friends, and the glow by which I read their words while sipping my morning coffee.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:37 AM

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. And yes, these things are known. It is a really rotten trick for which there is no cure. Crying is called for.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry it's been so hard lately... I'm thinking of you.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

thank you

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy, what kind of cat litter and food are you feeing Elvis? If you are using a clay based litter, perhaps you can switch to litter made from natural sources, like wheat or newspaper? Our cat Toby throws up and has diarrhea if we try to fill his litter with clay.

Just a thought. I'll be thinking of you.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

big hugs to you!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Duffy said...

I am so so sorry. Losing a pet, and the possibility of it is heart wrenching. It is some of the deepest grieving I have known in my life and it is so unfair.

My heart goes out to you.

7:24 PM  
Blogger jessamyn said...

holding elvis in my heart.
peace and light to each of you.

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, friend. I know. It cannot ever be easy, losing a friend. No matter how wise and accepting we try to be, it hurts. Especially if your beloved shared emotionally challenging times and made them better for you, as Elvis did for you. We will cry together, soon, for all the lost pets and other sorrows we must cry for. I love you, dear.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about Elvis. I will equally distraught when Maya passes. It seems like it was sudden. Perhaps he didn't suffer much then. An dhe lived 15 wonderful years with you. I also appreciated your list of everything you have to be thankful.
Much love,
Margaret

2:52 PM  
Blogger denise said...

I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It is hard. Unbalanced. Unfair. Crappy. Scary. Sad. Hugs.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Wendy -- I'm very sorry. Wishing for a bit of sunshine to cross your path this week. So sorry about Elvis, poor, Kitty.

I miss you, though!

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home