Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Happy Little Things

I don't know why, but there are certain little things that make me happy...

You may already know that I'm wild about Shinzi Katoh . Shinzi makes me happy. We have two of his prints in our living/play room. I love how playful and childlike his illustrations are and how the sole purpose of them is to induce smiles and happiness. We hung his "Hide and Seek" print between two windows so that the woods outside become part of the scene inside.

In this little corner of our home there is a table upon which sits Satchel's toy house and garage. Beneath are baskets of musical instruments. The living room is sunk in by one step and Satch likes to use the elevation of the dining room as a stage.

The other Shinzi print sits atop our bookcase.
(By the way, I know how hard it is to get your hands on Shinzi. And the shipping costs more than the item if you try to buy directly from the site. So, if Shinzi makes you happy,
you can now get some at Penelope's in Chicago at a VERY reasonable price!)
And do you know what else? Sukie makes me happy... the little whimsical woodland creatures and trees make me swoon!

Chronicle Books sells Sukie labels and sticky notes and even Sukie iron-ons for the wees so you can easily crank out some shirts that look very much like those pricey mini Boden garments.

Sukie was the inspiration behind these Freezer Paper stencil shirts that I made for Satch.



I won't bore you with the details. The tutorial for the process is all over blog land: here and here and here and here and here and here.

And there is a tutorial for using freezer paper with a silk screen to print multiples here!

And Lotta Jansdotter makes me happy! She's like the Martha Stewart of Sweden only she's an artist and WAY COOLER. Her sticky notes and labels are so sweet that I use them only for special things...the colors and the nature inspired illustrations are so SO lovely.

Lotta Prints is like the print making bible. Although I have done many forms of printmaking in my life, I still found this book incredibly inspiring and altogether beautiful to look at.

The instructions are simple and she even throws in some stencils from her personal designs.

I loved her little scissors shirt so much that I decided to transfer print my own scissors onto my pajama bottoms.

And more photos of the new nest soon...

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:47 AM

1 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

I just bought my first batch of freezer paper this past weekend. Now, I have to get the fabric paint. Very excited to do this project.

I love those first two items since I have a slight obsession with trees now. I guess city life is getting to me. : )

Great list and I can't wait to see more of your house. I love seeing other people's homes. So inspiring and heart-warming.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home