Thursday, June 19, 2008

Ladybug Picnic

"Mama, yook...it's a Dada ladybug with a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny little car" - Satch


While I did some work in the garden, Satch and his Dada released a bunch ladybugs that we picked up at Wolftrap Nursery. They went right to work looking for aphids and other yummy ladybug snacks. Video at the bottom of this post!

The camera continues to work sporadically, but I hope to get photos as the garden fills out and our nest is completely feathered.

I built a garden teepee for satch to play in with all sorts of flowering vines and beans that are now only 2 feet tall, but will soon grow into a flowering fort - instructions and inspirations: here, here and here!

In the back yard, I created a natural border of wild flowers, pumpkins and gourds. The pumpkin plants are growing quickly, but the wild flowers are having a tough time of it. A fellow freecycler gave me some wonderful plants: a black raspberry bush, chocolate mint, tall verbena, echinacea, pennyroyal, navelwort, chives, apricot violets and a ton of vinca to line the path that runs along the side of the house to the garden in back. (Thanks Robin)

My gardening inspiration is from Sharon Lovejoy's books, one of which I received at Satchel's blessingway 3 years ago. Click on the book covers for links...

and you'll wanting to sink your hand into some soil soon after.

Have a good weekend and happy solstice!

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:30 AM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ladybugs are cool! my daughter loves them so. love those books, they are so inspiring...we have the roots shoots one and i still long to build the sunflower house....what fun for all of us!!! oh to have a farm with lots and lots of land.

happy weekend to you!

1:21 PM  
Blogger denise said...

To you too!

We have ladybugs coming. Until then I have been blasting my swiss chard (an aphid favorite) with my super special spray of water/dr. bronners hemp peppermint soap/peppermint oil. Seems to work, but ladybugs will work faster than I! :)

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home