Thursday, May 15, 2008

What's Up With Pocket Tees Anyway?

















I have a question for all you crafty mama's out there, but first the story:

Thoroughly disgusted with the lack of imaginative clothes for boys and completely appalled by the use of camo in children's clothes, I've been trying to Satchelize my son's threads. I bought some cool trim from SuperBuzzy and tried to trim the pocket of one of his t-shirts.
  • First I tried Heat-n-Bond no-sew adhesive and it didn't work!
  • Then tried two pieces of Heat-n-Bond and it didn't work!
  • Finally I just sewed over the darn thing...because no one really uses that pocket, right?
Well, wouldn't you know the first thing Satch said when he put on the shirt was, "Where's the pocket, Mama?"

Now the question:
  • Any ideas how I can trim the shirt without sewing over the pocket? (It's too small to fit over that thingy that enables one to hem etc.)
Have a good weekend, everyone! We're taking Satch to see Dan Zanes this weekend...this marks the beginning of the birthday festivities to follow.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:21 AM

10 Comments:

Blogger jena strong said...

I got nothing!

But say hi to Father Goose for me.

xo J

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hand sewing, the fiddly kind that takes an hour and makes your hand numb but looks cute at the end of it.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

drats! i was afraid of that.

8:14 PM  
Blogger denise said...

Yeah, I'd hand sew too. Or, bond it into a hemmed piece, and then embroider it on.

I have issues with boy clothes too. There are many creative, colorful, logo-free, and possibly even organic options for girls, but boys, not really...we do a lot of solids. Now my 5 year old has his own "style", and has to pick all of his own clothes and determine his own hairstyle, so we are in new territory with that.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could use a fabric glue - like Fabric Tac. Put a little on the cut ends of the ribbon to keep it from fraying (or fray check if you've got it) and then spread it on the back of the ribbon and stick it on. Fabric glues are made to go through the wash and be soft but read the directions anyway. Hope that helps!

2:11 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

cassi,
i'll try it. the thought of hand sewing all those wee pockets is making me dizzy. and as you can probably tell from my previous post, i'm still learning to sew.

denise,
i hear ya. when satch was a old enought to reach i used to hold up two garments side by side and let him pick. this gave me an idea about what colors attracted him etc. i still do that when i'm unsure. though at the moment i have a pretty good idea about what he likes and doesn't like. as for his hairstyle, he told me that he doesn't want his hair cut, so i'm rolling with it. i just clip a bit away from his face when i must.

new territory ahead, indeed. just when you begin to get your footing, there's new uncharted terrain to navigate.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have occasionally unstitched a pocket from the shirt, trimmed it, and restitched it. It's more work, but it's less "fiddly", as lovestitches put it. At least for my big blocky hands (thanks, Dad!) :-)

12:51 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

if you take off the pocket does it look all icky?

4:36 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I'm liking the idea of taking the pocket off, then putting it back on. And what if you took the pockets off of two tees, and then switched them before putting them back on. Green pocket on a blue tee, and vice versa. Oy, I think I may be making a girlie version for my daughter.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it look all icky? Well, sorta depends on how careful you are, how fine your stitches are, and whether you iron, but no, it doesn't look bad.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home