Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Nifty Gifties

"The little ones leaped, and shouted and laughed
And all the hills echoed...." -William Blake


Satch and I made these pillow cases as a Mother's Day gift for the grands. We purchased linen pillow cases at Ikea along with a pillow insert. I printed a photo of Satch onto printable fabric sheets. I ironed the printed fabric onto the pillow case, then sewed around the edges.






















Satch dipped his hands in non-toxic fabric paint and pressed his wee mitts onto the back. I dated it with a fabric marker.





















I also made this nifty gifty for Satch...it's a ribbon stick, but he calls it a ribbon kite. It's my own variation of one that I saw on page 51-52 of this book. Here's how I made it (and you can too):


















  1. I bought 1" wide silk ribbon at Dharma Trading
  2. I dyed it in hues of grass and sky
  3. I cut the ribbon into two 6' strands
  4. I glued it to the branch.
  5. I stained a wood bead
  6. I screwed it to the top of the branch
  7. I hot glued an acorn cap on top to hide the screw.
Satch LOVED the acorn detail! He made a little breathy noise like one does when surprised and touched it with his finger.















When unfurled the ribbon floats and dances in the air. It's amazing that something so simple could induce such joy!

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 5:48 AM

6 Comments:

Blogger jessamyn said...

OH! I am so going to make that ribbon stick. I have been wanting to have one in our home for a while now. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I was just looking at this book a couple of days ago and the ribbon stick caught my eye. I will have to make one soon. What kind of dye did you use?

1:39 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

hey g! i used liquid rit dye, and rinsed the silk like a zillion times because i'm paranoid about any residue.

to make that shade of blue i used a bit of royal blue, a drop of green and yellow...i just dipped and checked until it looked right and tweaked the color as needed. i couldn't give you the exact measurements if i tried.

as for the green - i added yellow to dark green to and gave the silk quick dips until it was the right shade.

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the handprint pillow and the ribbon kite! I think my 19 month old will enjoy a stick with ribbons to twirl, so I might have to make something like this. Thanks for the fabulous idea!

12:36 PM  
Blogger morecoffee said...

Hi! I know this post is years old, but I would like to give it a try. Do you think you could fix the images so they display? Not sure if I can follow along with just the text. ;-) Thanks!

12:40 PM  
Blogger morecoffee said...

Got your message about the images -- that is AWFUL! I'm sorry to hear you have to redo so much work. Thanks for replying to my message, and I hope you are able to finish restoring your (awesome) blog someday! :-)

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home