Monday, March 03, 2008

Mom to Mom: Bobbi Conner

It's March and I'm pleased to introduce mother, author, AND producer/host of The Parent's Journal, Bobbi Conner.

Mom: Bobbi Conner
Of: Cassidy, Olivia and Peter (all in their early to mid 20's now)
Where: South Carolina
Sites: Unplugged Play and Parent's Journal




1. In what ways has becoming a mother changed you?


I immediately realized (after my son was born) that the simple moments of life together were a tremendous source of joy. I also learned how to be a master multi-tasker (juggling work and caring for my children.)

2. What is one tip you would like to share about mothering?

The daily routines you provide for your kids matter in a huge way. So, when you set aside time to read together, encourage creativity, active play, eating meals together as a family these simple routines are setting expectations and marvelous coping skills and habits in place for your kids (and nurturing you as a mom too).

3. What is your creative outlet/medium?

Now it is writing, and producing my public radio program. (In my younger years prior to children it was drawing, painting, sculpting, writing songs, poems and short stories at school and for fun.)

4. How do you find time for creativity?

Now that my children are grown, there is much time for pursuing whatever creative projects I choose. However, when I was busy raising my children there was not time nor money so all my creative energy went into our family routine (playtime, storytelling, making up songs together) AND also whatever creative projects I could initiate in my full-time work.

5. What inspired you to write "Unplugged Play"?

I saw how important creative, active, imaginative play was in my own childhood, my children's lives and also knew it to be essential to all children. (I also know that the pressures for all-things-electronic in our culture is robbing kids of the joys of free-style play. So, I wrote this book to say to parents, here are 710 games that will get your kids moving, creating, imagining, playing alone, with you and with other kids...without electronic gadgets and computers. Pick a few games and give them a try!

6. What inspired you to create "Parents Journal"?

I was a new parent with 10+ years of radio production experience under my belt in 1985 and thought: why is there not a public radio program where parents and child development experts share tips on raising kids ? So, I started my own business to produce The Parent s Journal. It s been on the air nationwide since 1986.

7. What is your vision for the radio program and for your book?

For the radio show: I d love for millions of new, first time parents to discover the huge assortment of A-Z parenting interviews on TPJ that might offer them some practical help with their child. (Our website has podcasts of our show and over 550 radio interviews on every imaginable parenting topic. It s a wealth of info, and it's free.

For my book, Unplugged Play: I hope to give parents some good playtime ideas so kids rediscover the joys of free-style play! (And I d love to re-energize a grass-roots movement where there is renewed interest in all-things-unplugged---when it comes to childhood play!)

8. On your radio show, you interview leading child psychologists, renowned authors and child development experts. In these discussions, what were some of the most important things you've learned about mothering?

I've learned that the seemingly mundane decisions we make as parents about what to include (and what to exclude) in our kids daily routines are a powerful way to encourage our child's social, emotional, intellectual and physical development. I've also learned that getting to know your individual child is critical to good parenting (and applying that wisdom to real-life challenges is essential)...and this knowing and understanding your individual child is a profoundly beautiful part of being a Mom or Dad.

*Most Alive Monday will resume next week!

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:06 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home