Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Make Merry & Bright!


"There'll be much mistletoe-ing
And hearts will be glowing
When loved ones are near
It's the most wonderful time of the year" -Edward Pola/George Wyle


We hung our pine cone wreath on the front door and Satch exclaimed,
"Oh, THAT'S cool!"

We purchased these hand painted papier maché ornaments by artist, Michael Mabry. The illustrations are whimsical with a touch of humor and represent the 12 days of Xmas, i.e. the "Four Calling Birds" are holding telephones. They are non-toxic and kid friendly.

They are much more beautiful in person than was pictured in the catalog.

We are collecting holiday ornaments that represent our son's favorite things of the year. This year we purchased this robot ornament.

When Satch saw it he said, "Look at this robot...I love him...I love this robot". I don't know if it's going to make it to the tree because he's been playing with it ever since.

We also commissioned an ornament of his favorite animal from this talented artist.





I found some simple felt stockings at a craft supply store and stitched a rocket ship on Satchel's stocking.



(*please note I have no idea how to stitch so I made it up as I went along)
.






On mine I sewed gorgeous red vintage buttons that I had in my enormous stash. They look a bit like candy.













I trimmed Robert's stocking with two pieces of his dad's old neck ties It was inspired by the Gee's Bend exhibit that we went to.


(click on stockings to see larger)
.







I'm attempting to make my own version of these felt garlands and some felt balls to use as non-breakable, kid-friendly ornaments for our tree.

Satch made some holiday greetings this year and without any instruction, began painting little round ornaments on the trees. They are cut from cardstock and a piece of red and white baker's twine is tied through a metal grommet at the top. He only made a few so I'll be printing a photo greeting AND as always, our computer savvy friends and family can expect an e-greeting rather than paper (in the spirit of "The Lorax")




Of course there will still be the usual cast of kitschy characters.


These metal snowflake lights have replaced the papel picado. They cast the most beautiful ambient light which I am unable to capture. It's the color of candle light.



And the studio window got a seasonal face lift as well.






On Friday, we'll be trimming our tree while nibbling rocketship sugar cookies (decorated by Satch), sipping organic hot cocoa and listening to some cool holiday music!





Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:06 AM

2 Comments:

Blogger Veronica TM said...

so much beauty in this post, wendy! i LOVE the rocketship! and the hands in the pockets are killing me!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Mom O Matic said...

Beautiful work, beautiful son with the big bright eyes.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home