Thursday, November 01, 2007

Mom to Mom: Vickie

One of the things I really love about the internet, and blogging in particular, is the way in which one connects with other kindred spirits whom you might not have crossed paths with otherwise. For example...meet Vickie....

Mom:
Vickie
Of: Julian (4); and Camille (2)
Where: California
Blog: In the Acorn


1. In what ways has becoming a mother changed you?


It's made me more patient, made me see just how strong I am in ways I never thought possible... I cannot believe that way I go on and on with no sleep and past utter exhaustion, the physical boundaries are pressed beyond measure but you just have to keep going...the psychological pushes are yet to come as they grow. It's beautiful really, a full circle alchemy of your very self. Having children stretches you everywhere and makes you whole. You become completely self-less and then regain your self. It opened up my heart to love so full and complete it feels almost miraculous and mystical at times. I know the sheer act of giving birth was some kind of strange and mystical thing. I literally felt as if I knew a place called heaven when my children were born.

2. What is one tip you would like to share about mothering?

Let it go and enjoy the moment, a constant mantra I must repeat to myself daily, and I think the most important one. As a working mama I get lost lost lost in keeping our house neat and inviting, but you just can't have all that all the time and it's just not that important. I remember a VERY neat house when I was young but not enough connecting moments with my mom talking and playing and I know I don't want to repeat that for my kids.

3. What is your creative outlet/medium?

Oh to paint, I am a painter and love the figure and landscape. I love oils but watercolor is working best for me right now. It needs to be immediate and easy... I love life drawing too!

4. How do you find time for creativity?

I grab the moment when it comes. I think putting time on your calendar is very important and I don't do it enough. My kids are 2 and 4 and still so little and need me so much...so I make most of my time on my lunch hours at work. I've painted and sketched and it's worked out well, just enough time to get into a zone. At home I must engage the kids and work right along side with them, say sketching them or drawing on big pads of paper. If I really want to achieve some level of depth in a drawing or say start a painting that's when my husband steps in and engages them while I work. It's only 1-2 hours at a time though for now...until they get older.

5. Why do you blog/journal?

Oh for the community! Oh for the support, I have found so much in the writings, photos, feelings, poetry, of fellow mommies and other bloggers. I came upon it only about a year ago and became fascinated,with moms who did the parenting and yet kept up a creative life and very often made it their career. This inspired me a great deal. It has saved me from feeling that I can never become. I feel completely capable using so many as examples of YES it can be done, you can be an artist and a mom and meld those 2 worlds. I write because I love to journal and capture my life. I have dozens of little hand written journals and now it has just evolved into the digital format. I blog because it clears my head. It just feels good. I like to go back and see where I've been and I LOVE to connect with other people....just getting a little comment makes me so happy. Visiting my daily reads and discovering new places every day is one of my days little luxuries, I love it!!! I always leave feeling so hopeful and inspired and I always learn something new.

6. Which blogs do you frequent?

Wendy, your mother rising blog is chock full of stuff I haven't even checked out yet....and you are my newest find, who couldn't love someone who puts chocoholic in their profile? Other places I love and connect with and read daily are:
There are so many more to mention but these are some I go to almost daily to check.

7. Who are some bloggers that you would like to meet?

Well, I'd love to meet all the gals who I read daily first of all, because I feel as if you're all neighbors now in the blogosphere but I swear if you put us all together I bet we'd have one heck of a time, I guess that's partly what blogher is all about...someday maybe? But Amanda Soule - perfect name because I always feel touched to the soul when I go there, Elaine of wannabe hippie - so funny with theatre background, she cracks me up, Nina of whole self - so earthy-crunchy, just love her!!, wish you all lived next door. Oh to be so lucky!!

*I hope you enjoyed meeting this wonderful soul as much as I did. Have a good weekend, everyone. See you Monday!

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:56 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger Veronica TM said...

thank you for introducing me to vickie, wendy! wonderful interview, as always.

7:37 PM  
Blogger jenica said...

this is beautiful! i love when you do interviews. makes me feel rather human and lovely.

2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really do a service with this Wendy. A service.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home