Monday, October 15, 2007

Most Alive Monday

"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly" -Buckminster Fuller
















One most alive choice that I made recently was a split second decision to let a caterpillar crawl on my arm so that Satch could observe. It was a Halysidota tessellaris -- Banded Tussock Moth caterpillar.


If you know me well enough, you would understand that this was not an easy decision. Though I'm not fond of insects...and maybe even a bit repulsed by them, I did not want to imprint my revulsion on Satch. I didn't feel this way when I was a child and can clearly remember playing with caterpillars and snakes and all sorts of critters. I wonder why it is that creepy crawlers now give me the creeps.

I let the little bugger crawl on my arm. It didn't feel at all like I thought or remembered as a child. It's numerous feet felt sticky like itsy bitsy pieces of velcro. As it turned out Satch wanted no part of the fuzzy insect crawling on him, he was satisfied to watch it on a leaf or the stroller. He didn't want to set it free so we had to bring it home to live in our garden.

I found some nifty links to help us identify the critters we stumble upon during the course of our day:


We've also fallen in love with the Fun with Nature Take Along Guides!


Tomorrow I will be celebrating my 44th birthday! I will begin my day as I always do...by dancing to "Birthday" on the Sugarcubes' "Life's too good" album! I will be back Wednesday.


"She’s painting huge books
And glues them together
They saw a big raven
It glided down the sky
She touched it
Ohh...today is a birthday" - Sugarcubes


About Most Alive Monday:
I've decided to make at least one "most alive choice" each day and post my favorite each Monday. This, of course, is to motivate me to consciously "live juicy"! I hope you'll join me and share your "most alive choice" in the comments section.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:51 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger nina beana said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WENDY! i love that you listen and dance to that sugarcubes song...i haven't heard it in ages and freakin' love it so much. i may just have to adopt your tradition of shakin' my booty to this birthday song, too!

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Libra. Hmm. Something else I love about you, if I do say so myself.

10:12 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow :)

Cute pictures, too. And the Sugarcubes . . . wow! I forgot all about them. My older sister used to listen to them all the time when we were living together. What a blast from the past.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Mika said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Veronica TM said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWEET WENDY!! i hope you had a super-alive day!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home