Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Curious Boys (and Girls)

Adventures and Projects and Hijinks, OH BOY!

To quote author, Sam Martin, "Adventuring instincts have been dulled over the years by video games, television, and all those electronic toys that short-circuit the imagination". I couldn't agree more and "The Curious Boy's Book of Adventure" is a wonderful antidote to re-awaken the imagination in this mind-numbing electronics age. As a tomboy at heart and the 44 year old mother of an adventurous young son, this book immediately won me over with it's instructions on how to build a water balloon catapult. There are experiments, projects and hijinks of every variety. The book is easy to understand and just the right size, portable and not overwhelming for young readers.

It's time to turn off the tv and start making some forts, bottle rockets, slime and home-grown crystals. Fun, Fun and more fun!

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:02 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger Rick Hamrick said...

I have not seen this one, but I just turned one back into the library named, "The Dangerous Book for Boys" which might be appropriate for a couple of years after the "Curious Boy's" book had worn out its welcome...and cover!

It has not only the expected stuff having to do with blowing things up, making loud noises, and otherwise proving oneself to be enjoying life, it also sneaks in some education on things the authors are convinced boys should know about, such as how to play poker. (The dangerous book for boys / Conn Iggulden, Hal Iggulden)

I checked it out only because I was curious. My kids are all past the age when this would appeal, and they are all girls who don't seem to take much to blowing stuff up. Just in case there was something I could not resist at age 53, I thought that checking the book out--only in the interest of intellectual pursuit, of course--was appropriate.

My inner child (definitely a boy) and I enjoyed the book.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Great minds think alike, or so they say. I checked that book out too, but there were three things I didn't like.

1. I didn't like the chapter about girls, i.e. "be a good listener... girls like to talk about themselves etc".

2. I didn't like the chapters on famous battles, because I don't want my son to think killing is cool.

3. I didn't think it was necessary to include the 10 commandments because I want to teach my son to think for himself and live by his own set of values.

Still there was a lot of other nifty things in there...I almost wish I could just compile a new book that I feel is more appropriate.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Rick Hamrick said...

I really understand your reservations. The odd thing is, I completely missed both the chapter which sounds sexist as you describe it, and the religious chapter. Had I been thorough enough to have seen those, I, also, would not recommend it.

The battles part? I have mixed emotions there. I am completely nonviolent and would have to be shot if it were "kill or be killed". At the same time, there is something of the strategic and game-playing aspect of history I have difficulty abandoning.

Let's just call it my personal limitation, and be done with it.

Thanks for cluing me in about the two chapters I missed, Wendy!

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home