Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A Cookbook of Creative Play

"Play is not trivial. When children play, they're doing important work." - Fred Rogers

Most people who know me could tell you that I'm concerned about, among other things, the effect that this electronic age has on children. More and more data keeps surfacing about the damaging, not Einstein producing, effects of what is being marketed as educational videos and toys. They can actually rewire the way our children think. The American Academy of Pediatrics now recommends no more than 2 hours of high quality television or videos per day. So I wondered how can I keep Satch entertained when I run out of ideas.

I thought I would check out Bobbi Conner's new book, "Unplugged Play" to see if I could find some answers. What I found was SEVEN HUNDRED AND TEN imaginative answers! I wish I had this book a year ago. The ideas are categorized by age group (12 mos - 10 years) and then by type of play, i.e. solo play; parent and child play; playing with others; and birthday party play. And I just love the Appendix which includes, "The Well Stocked Toy Cupboard", a stock list of items to have available, most of which are household items that many of us already have on hand.

I am seriously inspired! Thank you, Bobbi.

Bobbi Conner is the author of, "Everyday Opportunities for Extraordinary Parenting" as well as the creator and host of an award-winning national radio show "The Parent's Journal".

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:41 AM

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like a great book. I love that you used a Fred Rogers quote. He's like the Godfather in our house :)

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home