Thursday, August 30, 2007

Wisdom & Greatness

"Keep me away from wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow down before children" - Kahlil Gibran

Starting our holiday weekend early. Will be back Tuesday with a new "mom to mom" interview. I'll resume "Most Alive Mondays" the following week, but you can still upload to the most alive flickr pool.

In the meantime, let me leave you with my list of irks:
  • books with buttons and sound (why can't a book be a book?)
  • pop-up books that have absolutely no storyline (all fluff, no substance)
  • packaging toys with books as a way to bait children (manipulative)
  • supermarkets that print company logos on their free balloons (it would be much more generous, not to mention cost effective, for the store to give away blank balloons. I wrote a letter to Trader Joe's asking them to stop marketing to children).
  • all forms of branding
  • antagonistic comments by anonymous readers (why are they always anonymous?) Some bloggers are being forced to ban anonymous comments or turn off the comments section altogether. See here, for a particularly nasty one.
Please de-lurk and post an irk......

Have a good weekend everyone!

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:16 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Happy weekend!

12:36 PM  
Blogger april nance said...

I just discovered your blog this afternoon. How inspiring! I have recently started my own blog and mothering my two boys has been the main subject matter. Thanks for all the great info and for sharing in general. This community of motherhood is precious.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

thanks april! come back again and spread the love....

6:04 PM  
Blogger jenica said...

i love this blog. and am i the only irking de-lurker? my irk for the day would be...children who chose not to listen until you are past your point.

have a great weekend

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

irky irkington, here. when i meet women for whom pregnancy came very easy to, and i hear them kvetching and groaning negatively ad nauseum about aspects of pregnancy or their children, it irks me. Not because I think they shouldn't be allowed to bitch with those of us who struggle, but because some of us have a completely different experience of becoming parents which they can't possibly relate to. The disconnect irks me. It's unavoidable, I suppose. I know I trespass where I have no experience, also, and I irk myself that way, too.
Also, weak parents irk me. When I see children daring their parents to stop their yukky behavior and the parent does nothing to help the child self-reflect and correct themselves, I feel sad for the unseen needs of the kid.
You know I am full of parenting irks. I feel like a fish in a lake full of delicious wormy hooks!

I love your questions, m'dear,

P

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home