Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Stack

It was once said that you can often find me with my nose buried in some book. This statement may be even more accurate today as mamahood makes it more challenging to find time to read...and so the stack keeps getting taller. I suppose, "buried UNDER some books" would be more apt. *Please note, I buy virtually all my books used.

I've been really digging, The Discipline Book by Dr. Sears. He explains the common, yet well meaning, mistakes that parents often make as it regards discipline. He reminds us that discipline is training, not punishment and explains the correct way to use "Time Out". I admire Dr. Sears and his gentle approach to parenting.

Here's what's still in my "to read" stack:


Between Mothers & Sons
I know so little about boys that I try to learn as much as I can about what makes them tick. This book got pretty good reviews.

Real Boys
This book came highly recommended so it, too, is in the pile.


The Wonder of Boys
I confess that I started reading this one some time ago, got distracted and it ended up back in the stack.

Speaking of Boys
This was written by the author of Raising Cain which I though was really thought provoking.


I Love You Rituals
I peeked at this in the book store and thought it had some sweet ideas so I bought a copy.


Everyday Traditions
I love the idea of rituals and traditions so I thought this might spark some ideas....

The Book of New Family Traditions
and thought this one was a gem too!
You can sign up for her free newsletter here.

Consuming Kids
I'm concerned about the effects of marketing on children, and am trying to protect Satch from it for as long as I can. I want him to be able to see through the hype and make informed choices.


Above All, Be Kind
I read a similar book years ago and found it really insightful. I thought this might be a good read also.

Raising Children Who Think For Themselves
I think the title speaks for itself.

Here's what Satch is reading these days (indulging his current interests):

Where's the Poop?
This is an adorable flap book which incorporates Satchel's love of animals and his new favorite subject, poop. It illustrates that all creatures poop, and Satch likes lifting the flaps to find out where the poop is.

Once Upon a Potty
I bought this because it was the only potty related book that shows body parts and talks about what comes out of where. The translation is terrible and I don't like to use silly names for body parts (except for boobs, because it's such a vibrant word) so I adjust the story a bit to suit our lifestyle.


Time to Pee
Why? Because Mo Willems rocks, that's why!

*By the way, I recently found a few old posts that I had saved as drafts. Since this is my journal I wanted to publish them. I apologize for the confusion if you received any 2006 or 2005 posts in your RSS feeds.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Wendy at 6:51 AM

5 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

not only are you one of my very cherished friends you're also always one step ahead.. just as I was thinking of what I should read next.. (since bedtime rituals are set in stone and baseball season is completly engulfed my husband I've found myself with some more time in the evenings) Poof.. I hop on your blog and there is the most amazing thoughtful list.. thanks wen!

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, this is a great post, thanks so much for all these great suggestions. I love the discipline book too, it's a must have and i'm a dr. sears lover all around!

what a wonderful mom satch has!

love your blog!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is so funny. I have also bought most of these books (also yet to read them). I am the mother of a 6 year old boy. My brother is 17 years older then me so I basically know nothing about raising boys.

What I have figured out is that boys are sensitive and need as much attention and love as you can give them and need to feel special. They want to know that they are big and tough, but really they are marshmallows. I love the specialness of boys.

A book that I read that is incredible (and about protecting children, not just boys) is Protecting the Gift. Lots of common sense.

Great web site I'll be back.

Suzanne
Hip Kid T-shirts
www.hipkidtshirts.blogspot.com

10:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Honestly, I am not sure how I just found your blog (late night clicking LOL, but I enjoyed this post and went and added a few of the books to my Amazon wish list for future purchase! - And I had a read a few already! Thanks!

2:00 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

thank you, aimee, for visiting and commenting. i also created a list of favorite books and toys (at the top of my sidebar) so that readers don't have to dig through my blog to find out what we're reading etc.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home